avalyn2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,092
Message 1 of 8

Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1060 in ThinkCentre M710 SFF

Hi,

I wanted to know if someone is using this card in his ThinkCentre M710 SFF

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/

In the specs it says the recommended system power is 400 W but the ThinkCentre specs say the power supply is 180 W

https://www3.lenovo.com/au/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-sff/ThinkCentre-M710-sff...

Any advise will be appreciated, 

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,085
Message 2 of 8

Re: Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1060 in ThinkCentre M710 SFF

Don't be ridiculous.

PSU aside, the SFF case is extremely limited in terms of the maximum length of an expansion card that can be used.  The PSREF document for the M710s SFF shows a maximum of 150mm (i.e. 5.9").  The GTX 1060 card you pointed to is 9.8" (248mm) in length.

Also, you must use a low-profile card in an SFF case.

Disappointingly, pretty much the only graphics card you will be able to use in the M710s SFF case is a low-profile GT 730 which is 5.7" (145mm) in length, so it will fit.  Sorry, it's only a 40GB/s bandwidth card, but it will fit.

And it will not require an upgrade to the PSU.  Will run fine on the PCIe bus with the stock PSU, as it doesn't need more than 38W of power and doesn't need any additional 6-pin PCIe power from the PSU (which the stock PSU can't provide anyway, as it doesn't have the required cable).

You can't install any reasonably performing low-profile alternative either, like the GTX 750ti, or GTX1050ti, both of which are low-power cards that don't need a PSU upgrade.  They're both also too long for the SFF case.

If you want to use any decent graphics card you're going to have to go with a tower case, not an SFF case.  Lenovo has significantly "shortened" ( by about 4" in the front-to-rear dimension from previous generations of SFF case) the new M710s and M910s SFF cases, which unfortunately makes it unfriendly to any decent graphics card... PSU aside.  Even the M710t and M910t tower cases have been "shortened" (by about 3.5" in the front-to-rear dimension from previous generations of tower case), but at least there IS room to install a GTX 1050ti, which at <75W TDP will run off of the PCIe bus and using the stock PSU.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,067
Message 3 of 8

I strongly suggest the GT 1030, it has about twice the performance of a GT 730, has newer features such as DX 12, and HDMI 2.0b for 4K monitors.  For a modest 30w card (it can run on a 180w supply), it plays games well above it's power rating:   zotac-nvidia-geforce-gt1030-review-a-true-budget-option-thats-actually-decent   As written above you, will need a low-profile card for a SFF. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,063
Message 4 of 8

In the specs it says the recommended system power is 400 W but the ThinkCentre specs say the power supply is 180 W

About 25% of M710s models come with a 210w supply.   You would need to look up your specific model to determine which you have.  If they come out with a mini (super short) low-profile GTX 1050 Ti or follow-on, then it would be an option with a 210w supply (not the 180w.)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
avalyn2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,049
Message 5 of 8

Thank you everyone for your answers. Since where I am living I am able to return or change a product within seven days, and since I just bought this on Thursday, I probably will switch to the Lenovo ThinkCentre M710 TowerThat should handle a bigger and better GPU.

I was thinking on getting a Lenovo IdeaCentre 510S-08IKL but I have conflicting info regarding its width. Here it says 92mm but here it says 195 mm (??)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,033
Message 6 of 8

@avalyn2 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your answers. Since where I am living I am able to return or change a product within seven days, and since I just bought this on Thursday, I probably will switch to the Lenovo ThinkCentre M710 TowerThat should handle a bigger and better GPU.

I was thinking on getting a Lenovo IdeaCentre 510S-08IKL but I have conflicting info regarding its width. Here it says 92mm but here it says 195 mm (??)

M710t Towers come with 2 different supplies, 180w and 210w, same as SFF.  To use a GTX 750 Ti or 1050 Ti, you need to get a specific model with a 210w supply. 

From what I can tell, the current 510s is a AIO with a built-in monitor, but really don't know much about the IdeaCentre system types. 

f-psref, desktops.pngLenovo PSREF, Dec 20, 2017

avalyn2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,023
Message 7 of 8

Thank you, I will make sure to get a M710t Tower with a 210W.
chx
Token Ring
Views: 2,275
Message 8 of 8

Even the Aetina M4-P107mDP is 169.57mm long and the 1050 Ti doesn't get smaller than that. Nor, I must note, more expensive. It's not even available at retail, you'd need to buy a sample from Aetina and that was 330 USD in November when I asked (and buying 500 only drops to 300 USD).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors