Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Realfruitjuice
Not applicable
Views: 282
Message 1 of 4

OEM Lenovo CPU – BIOS compatibility?

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding swapping the CPU on used OEM Lenovo desktop I have recently bought and have been upgrading for my wife.

The desktop is a Lenovo Edge 72 (3484 BCG).
So far it has: an i3-2100 (2.0ghz) CPU / 8GB ram / GT 1030 2GB GPU / 2 X HDD (1Tb & 500GB) / 450w PSU / Win 7 64bit.

I would now like to upgrade the CPU, as the current i3-2100 was an actual swap done by the original owner. (Apparently the original CPU was a higher rated i3-3220)

I was considering of swapping the i3-2100 (3.10 GHz) for the original i3-3220 (3.30GHz) that came with the system, or maybe for an i5-2320 (3.30 GHz) or i5-2400 (3.40 GHz). These are all LGA 1155 sockets, but I am not sure if they will all be compatible with the current BIOS or if there will be a potential power/tdp issue.

Does anyone know if I can simply swap the CPU or will I have to update the BIO first? 
I am slightly confident that the i3-3220 will be fine, but I am not sure about the other two.
The MB is the original OEM MB and the current BIOS is: F1KT54AUS.  The only other BIOS I can find for this system is: F1TK73A but I don't know if I should update the BIOS or if I can just change the CPU as is.

As a side note: 
The reason I have picked these 3 CPUs is because I have the opportunity to swap my current i3-2100 (+ an old GT 610 2GB GPU) for one of them. The i3-3220 for free, the i5s for about £10/£12. All of them used.

As for the build, this a simple budgets build for my wife to study, work and do a bit of light gaming (ex: Sims 4/GTA V/Skyrim). The games so far can be played at 1080p with OK FPS (some in high setting/other in med/high), but I think it could perform slightly better with a new CPU.

Thanks in advance!

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 275
Message 2 of 4

Re: OEM Lenovo CPU – BIOS compatibility?

Any CPU listed here should work:  ThinkCentre Edge 72 Small and Tower - PSREF - withdrawn models

Check that the wattage is the same as CPU your system originally came with, if not, we will need to research the cooler capacity.  And check that the date on your BIOS is well after the announcement date of a model with that CPU. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 271
Message 3 of 4

You may not see a difference with the i3-3220, as it benchmarks just 13% better.  In my experience, it's not worth an upgrade for less than a 35% increase. 

For better gaming, you might consider a GTX 1050 or Ti. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Realfruitjuice
Not applicable
Views: 237
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the link and advice BiggAl.

I agree with you that the i3-3220 might not be worth it, but on the other hand it's a kind of a free upgrade so I won't rule it out just yet.

But at the moment I’m leaning more towards the i5-2400, which I believe will work fine as it seems to have been included in some E72 models as seen here:  https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/pd024645, as well as some similar models I've seen selling online. But like you said, I have to verify this first and check the wattage and BIOS too.

I also agree that the GTX 1050 would be a great option, but I decided to just buy a used GT 1030, as the build is more for general use and not gaming (at least that's what I have been telling my wife). So far it has worked surprisingly well, but I think the current CPU is holding it back a little.

I'll let you know what route I decide to take.

Thanks again for the advice. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors