Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Poweraml
Punch Card
Views: 5,341
Message 1 of 3

PCI-Express?

I looked on several review sites on my IBM Thinkcentre M52 9210 (the small form factor one, NOT the tower) and it says it has ONE PCI-EXPRESS X16 expansion slot. I printed off a image of the PCI-E x16 slot and compared it to the one on my mahcine. It says it also has ONE PCI slot, and I can see it, and the one underneath must be the PCI-E, the black one.

But when I look closely it doesn't even look near to the image I had printed off. It was around 90mm (give or take a few mm) and instead of having two, seperated "gaps"(as one would identify their PCI-E x16) , my one had 5 "gaps" in them. I'm considering upgrading my computer and installing a dedicated video adapter to replace my old Intel GMA 950 integrated chipset, and I really need to know whether it is PCI-E or some other kind of slot.

Thanks. 

Take a look at this image:

http://i.dell.com/images/global/learnmore/pcie_connector.jpg

You can tell from that image, the x16 PCI-E has two so-called, "gaps", one smaller one on the right, a bigger one at the left. What puzzles me is that mine has five gaps, instead of the two. I looked up my machine on the lenovo site, and it does say it has one PCI-E slot, but it just doesn't look like a PCI-E x16. I really need someone to confirm this because if it isn't PCI-E x16 I am forced to get a PCI graphics card...Smiley Sad

Message Edited by Poweraml on 08-04-2008 03:09 AM
Lenovo Employee Myles_Lenovo
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,294
Message 2 of 3

Re: PCI-Express?

Poweraml,

According to our product specifications, the ThinkCentre M52 9210 machine type has 2 expansion slots on a PCI riser:

• Slot 1 is a half-length, x1 PCI Express slot meant for use with our PCI-E DVI-D connection adapter (part number 73P2516). It does not support x16 PCI Express adapters.
  • Slot 2 is a half-length, version 2.2, PCI slot.

These specifications are listed at:

http://www.lenovo.com/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-60416#exp

I hope this helps.

Poweraml
Punch Card
Views: 5,271
Message 3 of 3

Re: PCI-Express?

Yeah, that helps alot. Thanks for the advice. So the half-length PCI slot can support a PCI graphics card?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors