Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stevecolarossi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,184
Message 1 of 6

Power Supply Replacement (M81)

I have a ThinkCentre M81 which has been regularly shutting down without warning and then re-booting.

A technician saw that the power supply does not appear to be the correct type and suggested that I replace it.

The M81 manual indicates that the model is equipped with a 280w power supply.  The Lenovo website lists a 240w power supply as the replacement model for the M81.

Will using the 240w power supply cause the same problems?

Why doesn't Lenovo offer the 280w power supply that it indicates comes with the machine originally.

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,162
Message 2 of 6

Re: Power Supply Replacement (M81)

Is a tower model or small form factor (SFF)? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
stevecolarossi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,151
Message 3 of 6

Small form factor
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,134
Message 4 of 6

@stevecolarossi wrote:

The M81 manual indicates that the model is equipped with a 280w power supply.  The Lenovo website lists a 240w power supply as the replacement model for the M81.   Will using the 240w power supply cause the same problems?

A 240w watt power supply is sufficient for a SFF system.   See this thread:  M83-SFF-PSU-and-Graphics-upgrade

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
LeoChupin
What's DOS?
Views: 746
Message 5 of 6

Hi everybody,

Can you explain a little more about this thread?

I have a ThinkCentre M81 (7518-D2S, SFF) and I would like to add a MSI GEFORCE GT 710 1GD3H LP.

Recommended PSU for that graphics card is 300W so I would like to upgrade 240W factory LiteOn PSU.

Is it possible?

Thank you in advance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 722
Message 6 of 6

ThinkCentre systems with PCIe slots, including SFF, have power supplies sized to accommodate a low-power (35w) graphics card. 

That said, I remember that there's a quirk to the Nvidia adapters supported, skipping over the GT 710.  Some people on the forum tried it, and it failed to boot.  I just checked the latest Nvidia driver readme file on the M81 support page, and the GT 710 is still missing. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors