Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TroubledSaint
What's DOS?
Views: 756
Message 1 of 4

Problems installing RAM in A70 (7099) Lenovo desktop PC

Hello everyone, I have being upgrading an old A70 desktop that I had tucked away in a cupboard, and have added Windows 10 (Only 32 bit) and gave it a good tidy up. 

However, after going onto Crucial's website and buying 2GB of RAM (Using their 'built-in scanner' and trying to install it, to machine refuses to boot. The module did look quite 'bent' when getting it out of the packaging, though. I have tried the new module in both memory slots, but with no luck. If I put the old RAM back in, the machine will boot up. 

So, do I new a replacement RAM module? Or will the BIOS need upgrading? (Or both!) 

Many thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 735
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems installing RAM in A70 (7099) Lenovo desktop PC

TroubledSaint wrote:    However, after going onto Crucial's website and buying 2GB of RAM (Using their 'built-in scanner' and trying to install it, to machine refuses to boot. The module did look quite 'bent' when getting it out of the packaging, though. I have tried the new module in both memory slots, but with no luck. If I put the old RAM back in, the machine will boot up. 

I would definitely contact Crucial tech support.  The module should not look at all bent, and I assume that their scanner identified 'system specific' memory, which is 100% guaranteed to work. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
TroubledSaint
What's DOS?
Views: 729
Message 3 of 4

Many thanks for the comforting reply, BiggAl. So can the A70 (7099) machine take 4GB of RAM without a BIOS upgrade? I read something about 'Add 2Gb technology memory support' in the latest BIOS update - does this mean it needs an update to accept 4GB of RAM? And will I be able to update the BIOS on Windows 10? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 727
Message 4 of 4

It is advisable to keep the BIOS updated for important security fixes, and to update before any hardware or OS upgrade.   Using the CD ISO or USB Drive are the most reliable update methods, as this bypasses the OS installed on your system. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors