Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gkudaka
What's DOS?
Views: 1,565
Message 1 of 5

Problems with Chipset Driver Install in XP

I upgraded my drive on an M55 8811 to a 1tb HD and did a clean install of Win XP Pro. Everything seemed fine, and the drivers seemed to work so I installed my programs, then discovered I had a problem with an Intel chipset driver. I seem to be unable to use my USB functions.

I've tried reinstalling the chipset driver with the latest one on this site (it's a 2008 Intel driver) but I still couldn't get it to work.

So today I've sat down and read the fine print on the Intel Chipset doc. I'm not real clear on how I'm suppose to install the Intel Chipset driver before I install the OS because I had a tough enough time getting the CD to read, and anyway, its a moot point becauseI've got everything installed and the M55 is basically working -- minus the USB functions.

Can anyone tell me how I can, at this point, get the chipset drivers to install?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,559
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problems with Chipset Driver Install in XP

Firstly, where did you download the driver from? and what is the full model number of your M55? 8811-xxx?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
docjim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,550
Message 3 of 5

I did find out the hard way that ThinkCentre Drivers are varied with the Model & system #s. I have a M52 9211 LUP & several drivers will sound right but out of several listed on Lenova Support Downloads most will crash or worse..
You need to read the description fully AND know exactly which unit you have and what components are in it..!!
I upgraded ALL my drivers when I bought this Lease return unit & it took weeks to figure out what I did wrong. The drivers MAY be very similar especially on download sites..
Make SURE Driver Downloads are signed off on & certified
"DOC" Jim R. N Tx
gkudaka
What's DOS?
Views: 1,535
Message 4 of 5

Model is 8811 YHC.

I had first installed Q1CHP09US13 downloaded from Lenovo, but hadn't installed drivers in recommended order of chipset first. As I said, basic functions seemed to work so I installed software programs. When I realized my USB functions didn't work, looked at Device Manager and saw Unknown Device highlighted.  Reinstalled driver, but nothing happened. 

Then I found Intel auto driver site

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/inf

Which  gave me another driver, the one i mentioned being dated 2008. Tried installing that. Nothing happened. Then I looked up problem on web and tried to solve USB problem by looking at individual devices. Well, my processor didn't have a driver. It wasn't hightlighted, but I removed it and tried and autoinstall. Ditto for USB  v125w.

That made matters worse. Now I the following items without drivers:

Other devices
Intel(R) ICH8/ICH8R Family LPC Interface Controller - 2810

Processor
on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

an error occured during the installation of the device. The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

USB  v125w
Location 0 (v125w)
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,531
Message 5 of 5

download the Thinkvantage System update software, it should download the missing drivers for you.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors