Options

29 Posts

07-20-2014

US

27 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 1 of 1

Problems with "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana application?"

2017-12-17, 3:49 AM

Problems with "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana application?" - Don't reload - read on...

If you haven't seen that error message, you can skip this rant.

Ever since the Microsoft Windows update in November, both of my 64-bit Windows 10 machines have had wonky taskbars. Left click the Windows logo and nothing pops up. Click in the search area and you couldn't type anything in - no characters would appear. Right-click on any of my Adobe or Microsoft icons in the taskbar, and no choices would come up. Other weird things were happening as well.

I ran a Microsoft diagnostics tool and the errors it reported were: Fix Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana applications; but, of course, there was nothing I could find on how to fix them.

I tried rolling back to a previous Restore Point and every restore point failed.

I called Lenovo warranty support, hoping they would have a solution. After mentioning the problem, their simple and immediate solution was to reload Windows and they sent me a USB stick with the Windows Restore software.

Since I have probably 50 photo and video editing programs loaded on these machines, and probably 100+ plugins and special effects tools added to the various editing programs, the thought of totally reloading all those was anything but what I needed during a busy holiday season.

Procrastinating turned out to be the best solution.

Today, Windows latest monthly upgrade was installed on both machines and VIOLA! - all my problems were resolved. Procrastinating saved me about 24 hours of work.

P.S. I still hate you Microsoft for screwing everything up in the first place.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete