Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twomargaritas
Paper Tape
Views: 5,597
Message 1 of 7

RECOVERY DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

Please anyone help - I have been having a nightmare with a A50. Hardrive failure, no F11 working. The SATA HDD I have replaced  -  to regain some connectivity I have installed the OS from a spare disk I had.
Now, had to replace harddrive, if I try to recover with recovery console just downloaded from website and I ask for a factory install it says "the product recovery function has been removed from this system".

Apart from ordering a disk  (great once you need to recover quickly your system, you have to wait for the disk!), anything else I can do? I have an other A50 in the office so I could copy necessary files from there.

Incidentally I really do not understand why IBM/Lenovo do not put some OS disks as a recovery method. As a result I have been spending the last 2 days on this system, with other manifacturers it takes minutes to have you up-and-running.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elvorian
Punch Card
Views: 5,589
Message 2 of 7

Re: RECOVERY DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

If your other A50 hardrive is unchanged by you meaning still factory partitioned you can grab a copy of Acronis 11 boot from a USB,CD or external drive, copy entire harddrive (preload, service, boot sector) to an external USB device and then restore it to other A50, overall time about 30 minutes to backup and restore if not less.

Message Edited by elvorian on 04-26-2008 03:04 PM
twomargaritas
Paper Tape
Views: 5,580
Message 3 of 7

Thank you very much, I'll try it tomorrow (it is midnight here in the UK). Hopefully it'll work. 

Thanks again for the idea

Eugenia
twomargaritas
Paper Tape
Views: 5,552
Message 4 of 7

One question which is bugging me - Once I re- installed xp on the new HDD it did not ask me for the Windows Product Key. (I used an HP recovery disk).

Would the system have taken automatically the details of the IBM? If so, I have  all the drivers and I can go ahead with the activation without having to reinstall via the Recovery Console. That would solve my issue.

Never recovered an A50 before so I would not know what info the system is retaining. I see though that after I have downloaded  & repaired  (at least partially) the Recovery system, this shows all the system details. So I might be in luck.

Thanks

Eugenia
twomargaritas
Paper Tape
Views: 5,548
Message 5 of 7

I reply to my own post as I found a solution by gooling:

Basically, If your F11 system does not work and you cannot wait for the CDs to turn up, one way of doing it is reinstalling your system via a different disk you have (or indeed try to repair - depending on the circumstances), put antivirus on new installs, go on the net, download all the drivers from the Lenovo website and check/change the product key if applicable. (my installation did not ask for a product code during installation).

One thing I have learned is never  to rely on the recovery system, keep drivers safe but at least the ones which will allow you to go on the net +  a copy of the  OS system at hand. Product code you should have on the machine.

You can be up-and-running in minutes even if your recovery system does not work.

Thanks for the help offered!!!

Eugenia
Chaos
What's DOS?
Views: 4,831
Message 6 of 7

Of course you'll have solved the issue by now, still since I just saw the question, I have to say:

If you have a second A50 you can create the recovery disks from that one, and use them to recreate the factory installation on the pc with the problem.

The first thing I do when I receive a Lenovo(IBM) pc or laptop to be used in my network, which happens often, is create through the built-in (pre-installed) utility, the recovery disks.

I have recently had an issue like yours on a A50 pc; there was no recovery  media for it, and I used the media of another A50. Worked fine except for a few drivers. Had them downloaded and it's back online. Nothing weird happened with the licensing or with the drivers, and you can always change the key or contact microsoft. But there's no need for that either.

idyleorfus
What's DOS?
Views: 3,768
Message 7 of 7

I have an older IBM 8198-91U that had HD crash.  I DO have the recovery CD's. 1 boot and 6 recovery CD's.  Replaced the HD with a new 40 or 80-GB and get the message "IBM recovery function has been removed from this system".  I have fixed several of these machines in the past and never got this error.  The BIOS information is good.  There are NO partitions on the HD as it is brand new.  The boot CD should instruct me to put in disk 1 however it never gets that far.  Instead I get the error.  Anyone have any ideas.  I know the recovery cd's are good.

Thanks,

Idyle

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors