Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lartistez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,494
Message 1 of 7

RS232 on M72e Tiny

Hello to All,

On specifications M72e Tiny (MT - M 3267 - 5B1) it is said that on the motherboard there is a COM (RS232) port.

If this is just how to activate and what is the connection of the latter?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Cordially.

lartistez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,471
Message 2 of 7

Re: RS232 on M72e Tiny

Hello,

Person for an answer?
This becomes very urgent for our production.
Thank you in advance.
Cordially.

pob14
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,455
Message 3 of 7

I hope I'm understanding your question correctly.  RS232 is an old standard port, originally used mostly for modems, but also for printers, mice, and other peripherals.  There isn't much that uses it these days; I think you can get an adapter for USB, but it'll be slower than a USB port.

lartistez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,447
Message 4 of 7

Hello,

You have fully understood.

Our machine tools are connected via an RS232 port.

USB adapters do not work for this type of links (unfortunately).

And update their electronic card costs tens of thousands of Euros.

Hence my question ...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,434
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

First let me say that I don't know this machine at all.  I'm just going on what I can search here on the site.

I can't find your MT-M in the tcbook for either North America or Western Europe.  Very few M72e Tiny machines come with a serial connector in the optional port, but some do.  It appears that there's a connector on the motherboard for a serial port - but I can't tell if it's available on all mobos or if all BIOS versions will support it.

The Hardware Maintenance Manual shows its location on page 72.  The location of the optional connector is shown on page 68.  The parts list includes a cable (54Y9345) that might be the mobo to backplate connector.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m72etiny_hmm.pdf

http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkCentre/m72e_tiny_fru_list_08_20_2013.pdf

Not sure this reallly helps but it might get you a little farther along.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,429
Message 6 of 7

@lartistez wrote:

Our machine tools are connected via an RS232 port.

USB adapters do not work for this type of links (unfortunately).

And update their electronic card costs tens of thousands of Euros.

Hence my question ...

I don't understand that USB adapters don't work.   RS-232 is a long standing industry standard, what does it matter that the back-end is USB, providing the front-end is RS-232?   Please explain more.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
lartistez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,399
Message 7 of 7

Hello,
You are right. (The Hardware Maintenance Manual shows its rent one page 72. The rent of the optional connector is shown one page 68. The parts list includes that might be the mobo to backplate connector has cable 54Y9345). There is well a connector on the motherboard. But nothing in BIOS concerning it. The last update of BIOS does not specify that this port COM is now taken care. I am surprised that you do not find the MT-M.

Thank you for your answers.

Another idea?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors