Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bthornton
Not applicable
Views: 483
Message 1 of 6

Random Crashes at Idle with M92p SFF

I've got a ThinkCentre M92p that I use as a media center PC/file server in my home entertainment unit. It has run rock-solid for months, but I recently upgraded the stock Radeon video card to a low-profile Radeon HD 7750 (Sapphire). This upgrade has helped tremendously with games and I've never had any problems while using the machine.

However, recently the machine has been randomly crashing while I'm not using it. I can tell because it will not respond to RDP logins and is unavailable on the network. There's nothing on the screen when this happens--but that could be because I'm using the HDMI output on this card which only seems to work when Windows 8 is fully booted. I've checked the Windows Event Log (System) and I see no warnings/errors before the hard-reboot. Temps look good; video card idles around 40 degC and the hard drive is around 36 degC.

The ONLY anomaly I've been able to find is that, a couple of times when I did a hardware check using Lenovo Solution center, the hard drive showed a warning for the short SMART self test. However, the overall test still passed.

Any ideas? Think the hard drive may be going out?

Thanks.

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 479
Message 2 of 6

Re: Random Crashes at Idle with M92p SFF

Things I would do is:

-Lenovo has a HDD diag for download, run that
-Run the Windows HDD surface scan, ensure the media is good.
-Fully delete all AMD software and drivers, reboot, reinstall 13.12
-Run CCleaner, registry scan and clean, multiple times until zero errors
-Run memtest86, 2 passes

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
bthornton
Not applicable
Views: 462
Message 3 of 6

With regards to the first two items:

1. Where is this HDD diag software that you mention? Looked around but everything pointed me to the Lenovo Solution Center, which I already have and have run HDD diag with.

2. I'm running Windows 8.1 . Is this something I download separately?

Thanks.

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 451
Message 4 of 6

1.  A third of the way down is the diag for the hard drive.  Could be the same was what you've used.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073728

2.  I haven't run Win 8, but every Win since I think Win97 has had this tool.   Go to computer, right click hard drive, properties, tools, error-checking, check scan for bad sectors.   Restart, and it will load and scan before starting Windows.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
DSperber
Not applicable
Views: 437
Message 5 of 6

There are now two other threads currently active (one of which is from you, and a separate one from Norway) pertaining to video card issues (including HD7750) with M92p and UEFI BIOS and Win98.

Best to get official Lenovo support inolved I'm guessing.

bthornton
Not applicable
Views: 434
Message 6 of 6

I'm not sure that the crashing is related directly to the issue I'm having with no video at bootup, but there may be an indirect relationship.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors