Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Calico210
Paper Tape
Views: 2,094
Message 1 of 10

Rescue and Recovery 3 CDs...

I've created my Rescue and Recovery discs, and am about to reset the hard drive to factory so I have a fresh install.  I was wondering if it would be a time that I could get a new hard drive and use the Rescue and Recovery discs and get a new bigger hard drive. 

Currently, I have 160gb drive, but it would be great if I could upgrade to 1tb at this time. 

Thanks in advance.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,089
Message 2 of 10

Re: Rescue and Recovery 3 CDs...

You can use the Recovery media discs, not the Rescue and Recovery discs. And currently the 1 tb HDD is too big to fit in your drive slot, which can only accommodate a hdd of 9.5 mm in height, which has the max capacity of 500 gig right now. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Calico210
Paper Tape
Views: 2,080
Message 3 of 10

I didn't even think about the height of the drive bay.  When you say the Recovery media disc?  Does that contain the installer for XP or will I need a new OS disc to install on the new drive?

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,070
Message 4 of 10

@lead_org wrote:

You can use the Recovery media discs, not the Rescue and Recovery discs. And currently the 1 tb HDD is too big to fit in your drive slot, which can only accommodate a hdd of 9.5 mm in height, which has the max capacity of 500 gig right now. 

I think there are maybe some misunderstandings here.

There are two options for creating discs; "create recovery media" and "create product recovery media". The former being a single disc, (enabling recovery from an image stored on other media, hdd, nas etc.) and the latter being a set of 3 discs; (boot and 2 recovery discs).

Since when do ThinkCentres use drives restricted to 9.5mm in height? They use standard 3.5" hard drives which come bigger than 500GB, this post is in the A and M series ThinkCentre board isn't it?

@ Calico210, assuming you have created the product recovery media you can use these to install a new hard drive to the original factory state.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Calico210
Paper Tape
Views: 2,055
Message 5 of 10

I have two discs only.  I see that I had two that were Rescue and Recovery and one that is Product Media Recovery or something to that effect. 

It is a mid or mini tower A55 Thinkcentre.

I'll decide in the next few days if I need to get a new hard drive or save the money for the next computer I buy.

Thanks for the help.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,053
Message 6 of 10

It is also possible to have only two discs as an XP recovery. One should be marked as Rescue & Recovery which is the boot disc.

Did you make them yourself or are they from Lenovo?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Calico210
Paper Tape
Views: 2,046
Message 7 of 10

I made them when I got the computer back in 06.  Yeah the Rescue and Recovery is the boot disc that I used on the original drive.  I just wasn't sure if the program was detecting a drive of the original drive's size and trying to format only  a partition of that size on a possible new hard drive.  

I didn't want to have bought a new drive and then have it screw it up.

Thanks

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,040
Message 8 of 10

Go ahead and get a new drive, keep your original intact for emergencies, the discs you have will install the new drive to factory state with a service partition at the end of it about 4/5GB in size, the rest is yours.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Calico210
Paper Tape
Views: 2,037
Message 9 of 10

Ok, Thanks.  Perhaps I'll create a dual boot with Ubuntu 9.10 in a few weeks with the new drive.  Thanks.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,002
Message 10 of 10

My mistake i must be reading something else, and inevidently replied to the wrong posts. Yes AndyP is right that the thinkcenter accepts 3.5 inch drives. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors