Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spartan59
Paper Tape
Views: 3,176
Message 1 of 8

Rescue and Recovery

I have a ThinkCentre A51P machine.  I tried a Rescue and Recovery of selected files to an external USB hard drive.

Unfortunately, when I did that, I wiped out all the data on the USB drive.  Is there any way to recover these files?

It appears what I did back up is in a protected partition on this USB drive.  How do I remove all this new backup data and get back all my full USB HD space?  Can I just reformat that USB drive and get all my space back?
Retired Guru
Views: 3,150
Message 2 of 8

Re: Rescue and Recovery

If you want to recover your deleted files, try undeleter programs like File Scavenger or UnEraser.  Depending on how much data was lost, the Trial version may be able to get it back, if you lost a lot of data, you may need to either pay for the full version, or find another free application

to recover the space, reformatting your USB drive will do the trick. as it will wipe everything and bring it back to its original factory state.
T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
spartan59
Paper Tape
Views: 3,103
Message 3 of 8

I used the demo version of File Scavenger and was able to recover most Word files and a few Excel files.  However, the .jpg files have a problem.  I recovered hundreds of them and was able to see them in the preview window.  However, when I tried to open each file, I got a "failed to load photo" message in the middle of the screen.

I did not pay for a license, so is it possible that only when I do this I am able to actually open these .jpg files?

I was so excited to see all these files re-appear like magic, but was soooooo disappointed when I went to finally open them and it just does not work.  If File Scavenger is not the problem, is there sw that could repair these files?  I probably have several thousand files I am unable to open.  I tried to open them in all available photo programs, but they will not open.  Again, I can see them in the preview or Thumbnail view but they will not open.

Your guidance is much appreciated.
spartan59
Paper Tape
Views: 3,099
Message 4 of 8

I am sorry to have taken your time.  I read the File Scavenger Help info and discovered that files don't open unless you purchase the license.  I have done that now and am re-scanning my computer and hopefully all will go well this time.
Retired Guru
Views: 3,074
Message 5 of 8

Hopefully it works out for you. Many of those programs will either not let you open them through the trial, or they will only recover a small amount (usually less than 20K)   Some will even guarantee to recover your files or you get your money back.

Message Edited by amace on 06-06-2008 09:08 AM
T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
spartan59
Paper Tape
Views: 3,008
Message 6 of 8

OK, I had great success with recovering nearly all my files using File Scavenger, so I am really happy.  I have now backed up in duplicate on two USB external drives.  However, the USB drive that I started with for this problem is still a problem.  I re-formatted this drive and it still only shows 232 GB available but it is a 250 GB drive.  No data shows up on this drive since I re-formatted it.  I am wondering why I am missing 18 GB?  Is this a hidden folder?  How do I restore this USB drive to its original state at 250 GB.  I want to forget about trying Rescue and Recover in the future and would like the full capacity of this drive.

What should I do?  I have searched Help on R&S and don't find any solution.

Thanks.
Highlighted
GrassFarmer3xE
Paper Tape
Views: 2,576
Message 7 of 8

Just saw your post while chasing my own R&R issue.

Don't think you'll find the 'missing' capacity.  Suspect your drive size is 250GB in "Marketing terms" and 232GB in "binary terms".  Hence, 250,000,000,000 / 1024 ^ 3 = 232.83...  Hope this helps..

sabirahmedkhan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,879
Message 8 of 8

HI,

I want to create recovery media on my IBM think centre machine with license windows XP Professional. I am using the application THINKVANTAGE ----> RESCUE and RECOVERY MEDIA for creating recovery media but in the end process fails and gives error mentioned below: 

The Resources required for creating recovery media is in use by another application. Please try again when the other application gets completed.. 

I have stopped all relevant process and services in the control panel and have restarted my system but when I try the above steps it gave the same error that the resources are in use by another application…I really don’t know what to do next…..However it is worth mentioning that for the first time when I used this application it didn’t give this error and extracted files normally and I was about to insert a blank disk to create the backup disk but due to load shedding my system got shutdown abnormally. Now when I use this application to create the recover media it is giving the above stated error…

Can u please provide help on this

SABIR AHMED KHAN

Note from Moderator:  Please don't post the same message in multiple boards/threads as it splinters the discussion.  Duplicate(s) removed.

Message Edited by nonny on 12-31-2008 01:28 AM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors