Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmacmil
Punch Card
Views: 326
Message 1 of 4

Safe to update BIOS vis System Update?

I have just purchased a used ThinkCentre M92p which I believe came from the corporate environment.  I have not received it yet but I am assuming that the BIOS won't be up-to-date.  I have a ThinkPad T430s (also purchased from the corporate world via Ebay) and have used Lenovo System Update to update the BIOS several times without a problem. 

Is there any reason why the ThinkCentre PCs shouldn't work just well using System Update to update the BIOS?  There seem to be a lot of threads about BIOS update problems for this model and almost all recommend burning a CD ISO to do the update.

YGRIG
Token Ring
Views: 267
Message 2 of 4

Re: Safe to update BIOS vis System Update?

I would recommend against doing that, having myself encountered problems updating M72e and M83 from the OS. The BIOS update utlilty tends to hang Windows or crash mid-update if you are updating from a realy old version to a new one. Did not kill any machine but had some scary moments.

Updating from a CD, on the other hand, went smoothly. If it was unable to update it told me which BIOS version I should flash first, or try updating from Windows, joke is on them.

lmacmil
Punch Card
Views: 257
Message 3 of 4

Thanks.  Depending on how old the BIOS is, I may update in multiple steps rather than a huge leap.  OTOH, maybe I'll be surprised and it will be up to date.  I think the M92p is about the same vintage as my ThinkPad T430s.  Strange that the BIOS update utility works well on the ThinkPad (on mine at least) but apparently not so well on the M92p.  I burned a CD with the ISO image so I'm ready to go when the unit arrives next week.

lmacmil
Punch Card
Views: 174
Message 4 of 4

I updated the BIOS from a 2014 version to the latest Dec 2018 version on my recently acquired M92p booting from CD onto which I had burned the ISO.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors