Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
basketofminks
Paper Tape
Views: 253
Message 1 of 5

Startup issues, black screens

First off, the monitor and graphics are perfectly fine. So what's happening, is on startup, for one thing all screens flash by really fast. I've managed to read them by taking lots of pictures while trying stuff. I was initially trying to boot with a USB after a hard drive failure. I have a different hard drive, with an OS, borrowed from another computer in there right now, but that doesn't seem to matter. I get the press enter to exit normal startup or whatever it is, but even if I don't, I get another screen flash, and the option to press f1 for setup or f2 to resume. If I do nothing, then nothing happens, the screen just stays black. I've finally been able to get it to almost make it to BIOS by hitting f1, there's a flash of the beautiful blue and grey menu, then black screen. I've also gotten flashes of grub rescue and once even the grub menu, but it's always a flash and then back to nothing. These are all separate boot attempts, it always goes black and then nothing more can be done. I'll show you the picture I got. There's some of those unauthorized bios update and unauthorized CMOS change errors. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 217
Message 2 of 5

Re: Startup issues, black screens

I have not seen anything like this.  My only suggestion is to force a BIOS update, with BIOS image on a CD or USB drive, and moving the CMOS jumper.  Refer to the 'How to recover from a BIOS update failure' in your system's Hardware Maintenance Manual.  See if it recovers. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
basketofminks
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 3 of 5

It's a nice idea, and I likely will have to do that, but unless I can get it to boot with a USB, CD, or just to any screen at all, I won't be able to do that.
basketofminks
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 4 of 5

So I have now tried several CDs. I tried the BIOS as suggested, also recovery disks and OS installation disks. Nothing is working. I'm wondering if it's worth testing a new video card, but I'm not sure there's a way I can get it to use that instead of the onboard graphics considering I can't access any menus whatsoever.
Highlighted
basketofminks
Paper Tape
Views: 177
Message 5 of 5

So it turns out I'm a dumbass and it was actually the monitor glitching. It was always happening at the same times, so I assumed that was just what there was to display. I couldn't find my spare monitor to test, but I just tried it with a TV. Thanks everyone!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors