Did you mean: 
hetterotte
Punch Card
Views: 3,757
Message 1 of 13

TC M93p - no signal on monitor when powering up

Hi,

So this is the situation:

My company recently bought 5 ThinkCentre M93p models. They come with two DP ports. 

When starting the TC from a cold boot, we only get signal on one of the two monitors (both connected via DP ports.) We manually have to turn on the monitor - and then we get signal on both screens.

If we restart the TC from Windows it shows the desktop on both monitors. If the TC goes into sleep/hibernate mode, upon wakening it it will again only show desktop on one of the monitors. Pushing the button on the monitor shows us again the desktop. 

We have tried the following:

- upgraded BIOS to latest version (from 07/17/14)

- upgraded latest graphics card drivers

- upgraded all other Lenovo updates available from both Lenovo, Intel and Microsoft

- upgraded drivers for the monitors

We even had a guy from Lenovo here to change the MOTHERBOARD without any luck

As mentioned earlier, the M93p comes with two DP ports. The problem occurs on only one of the DP ports.

The monitors used are 30" HP ZR30w 

Has anyone else experienced this and might have an idea what causes this? The Lenovo guy was baffled seeing this issue. 

Regards,

hetterotte

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,736
Message 2 of 13

Re: TC M93p - no signal on monitor when powering up

Two DisplayPort connectors?  Sounds like you also have an external video card in your M93p, because the onboard graphics would only provide one "integrated" DP connector for the graphics functionality of the CPU.

So if you have TWO DisplayPort connectors, the other must be coming from a separate discrete external video card.  The HD8570 optional card from Lenovo doesn't have a DP connector... it has an HDMI connector.  I don't know about the alternative HD8470 or nVidia GT620 which are also possible add-ons, or if your company had perhaps installed their own graphics cards.  But there has to be some kind of external graphics card also present in your M93p's, in order to have two DP connectors.  Or, maybe you're using an "HDMI to DP" adapter, or cable.

Can you provide more specifics about your hardware setup, including cabling from M93p to the two monitors?

Can you also provide details about the corresponding video drivers you have installed or tried to install?  Remember, the built-in Intel graphics uses Intel software, and the external graphics card would use its own AMD or nVidia drivers.  When things are "working", if you right-click on each [of what I'm sure must be two] Display Adapter items in Device Manager, select Properties and then the Driver tab, and report back the details shown for each.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,726
Message 3 of 13

Be aware of the following when using both integrated and PCI graphics card on a M93, the default is PCI only:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_NL/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT062228

hetterotte
Punch Card
Views: 3,696
Message 4 of 13

Hi DSperber,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the M93p comes with two DP connectors as well as one VGA port. The machine is currently connected through both DP ports. I'm using two identical 30" HP monitors.

In Device Manager I can find only one listing for Display Adapters: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (version 10.18.10.3621.) The driver is the current, according to Intel.

Regards,

hetterotte

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,678
Message 5 of 13

hetterotte wrote:

Yes, the M93p comes with two DP connectors as well as one VGA port. The machine is currently connected through both DP ports. I'm using two identical 30" HP monitors.

My apology.  My mistake.

I didn't realize until just now when I looked at the back-panel in the M93p Hardware Maintenance Manual that the onboard HD4600 graphics included TWO DP connectors on the motherboard.  In my own M93p I have a discrete external graphics card installed, so I never really even looked at the onboard DP connectors and didn't know about the TWO of them.

So, in my opinion, the symptoms you originally described you have uncovered what I would say is an actual hardware problem with the M93p, presumably fixable with a firmware update from Lenovo engineering. My recommendateion is that you contact Lenovo tech support (if you haven't already done so), to open a ticket. Obviously this isn't a "fatal" problem in that you have an easy (but annoying) workaround of powering the second monitor on manually to make the second desktop portion appear, after which things behave normally.  But it's clearly not working as it should, and this sounds like a hardware problem to me.

But you need to kick things off with Lenovo by opening a tech support ticket.

I opened a tech support ticket with them back in May, when I installed an M93p SFF machine for a friend, who was using a Seagate external USB 3.0 drive. The hardware problem with the machine was that when the machine was "soft re-started" (i.e. not powered OFF and then powered ON, but rather just "re-start" through Windows) the USB 3.0 power would be temporarily turned off by the hardware as it should during the first part of the machine soft-restart process, but would then not get turned back on by the hardware at the end of the machine soft-restart process.

The effect of this was that following a soft-restart the external USB 3.0 drive was unreachable, unusable, and had not been seen by Windows nor had its drive letter been assigned.  Workaround now is to pull the USB 3.0 cable out from the back of the M93p SFF, and then plug it back in... and now it was recognized by Windows (as "previously recognized new hardware detected") and reactivated and handled properly with its proper drive letter assigned, etc.

The symptom was not seen during a COLD power-OFF/power-ON re-cycle.  Upon COLD power-ON that USB 3.0 power was activated immediately.  It was only seen during "soft-restart".

Complicating the issue, this only happened with certain external USB 3.0 drives.  When replacing the older Seagate external USB 3.0 drive with a newer Verbatim external USB 3.0 drive, THE PROBLEM NEVER SHOWED UP!!  In fact the external drive was handled perfectly by the machine, and USB 3.0 power returned perfectly at the end of the soft-restart, and the drive was always accessible 100%.  No failures at all.

Obviously there was some kind of hardware compatibility issue or difference between the enclosure interface electronics in the older Seagate external USB 3.0 drive and the newer enclosure interface electronics in the newer Verbatim external USB 3.0 drive which was responsible, but it still came down to a Lenovo M93p SFF firmware issue.

I opened a ticket with Lenovo, and since I no longer needed the old Seagate drive I shipped it to them (at their expense) so that they could use it in their own lab during the problem research and diagnosis phase.  The problem was clearly hardware-specific, and letting them have an actual "live" test case that demonstrated the failure would obviously greatly assist them in chasing down the problem. The Lenovo tech support person on the case was very helpful and experienced, and has kept me advised of progress on the matter.

Latest update on this ticket is that the Lenovo engineers WERE able to detect a "firmware register difference" between their original lab machine used to test and confirm M93p firmware and a second M93p SFF machine, when using this Seagate drive (at least I think that's what the status update was saying).  In other words they actually were able to replicate my failure in their lab, which would now allow them to pursue chasing it down and hopefully discover whatever firmware update is required to address and fix the issue.

NOTE: this is probably related to a separate USB 3.0 failure problem also reported with M93p SFF and Tiny in this forum, where an active USB 3.0 connection to a currently connected external USB 2.0 device simply DROPS, all by itself, spontaneously, for no reason, and with no workaround other than to again pull the plug and re-connect! The connected external device might be an old webcam or audio recorder or something, but I don't think was a modern current USB 3.0 device (although that might not be true).  Sounds like USB 3.0 power is simply dropping spontaneously, whereas in my ticket's story it is dropped at the start of machine-restart and failed to be brought back at the end of machine-restart.

Ok. That's my story. Opening a ticket with Lenovo allows them to learn about hardware problems they never saw in their development cycle.  They need to know about these issues in order to be able to chase and fix them.

So again, I suggest that you contact Lenovo tech support and open a ticket. They would also open a ticket for your problem which (like mine) could lead to a true lab-discovery of a hardware problem, which eventually could be fixed with a firmware update.

Those are my thoughts.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,672
Message 6 of 13

Just realized that if you had Lenovo support out and they changed a motherboard in one machine to try that out (although you said it had no effect in fixing the problem), then they probably already do "officially" know about your issue.

So there's presumably a Lenovo ticket opened for this matter, yes?

Do you know if they're reported it to engineering, for more serious chasing?

hetterotte
Punch Card
Views: 3,654
Message 7 of 13

Whoa. There you go...one really need to look at every aspect when troubleshooting hardware/software errors. 

The devil truly is in the details.

Again, thank you for replying to my post, DSperber.

I have contacted Lenovo locally (Norway), but without much luck. At least not for coming up with any new suggestions/solutions. As I mentioned in my original post, the technician we had here changed the motherboard and was constantly on the phone with colleagues (I guess to get help troubleshooting). 

We have also tried to do every upgrade we can think of. Drivers for the monitor itself, chipsets, nVidia graphics (which failed due to the fact that the driver program couldn't find any nVidia components installed - same with AMD.)

We do have gotten one fact straight though:

The DP ports will work on a newer version of the HP monitors. The new model called Z30i ZDisplay. The old model is called HP ZR30w.  A big annoyance here is that our office consists mainly of the old monitor...30+ units..

Also, what we found is that using a certain (we tried several) DVI to DP adapter will work, but the resolution was not optimized. This is because the adapter itself is not DVI Dual Link to DP. So, we have ordered one DVI Dual Link to DP adapter to see if this fixes the resolution. 

In any case, there seems to be an issue with these machines and the way they handle that specific HP monitor. Other monitors (e.g. Asus 24") works fine. 

I'm not sure who is to 'blame' for this, but hopefully we will get rid of this problem by using an adapter.

Regards,

hetterotte

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 3,582
Message 8 of 13

ZR30W is somewhat problematic monitor regarding displayport connection. You can google it and will find plenty of results. I hope DP -> DL DVI work for you. You could also use any graphic card with DisplayPort and use Integrated DP + discrete DP combo to drive 2 monitors...

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

industrial-IT
Paper Tape
Views: 3,329
Message 9 of 13

I have a similar issue. Using Lenovo T440s and a HP z30i monitor does not send any signal on the DP port. No matter what I do nothing shows up on the HP monitor.

If I disconnect the power cord to the HP monitor for 10 seconds and then reconnect then the monitor get detected and I get signal on the DP port.

In my thinking this problem must be a monitor problem and not a Lenovo problem?

edit: have tried both the Ultra dock and the Pro dock.

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 3,144
Message 10 of 13

Did you try it directly, without dock? Did you update dock firmware? Also check this

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Top Kudoed Authors