Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Punch Card
0 Kudos

ThinkCentre A51 (type 8424 ) SFF PCIe slot?

[ Edited ]

I am a little confused by the PCie slot on my riser card. I understand that it will fit an ADD2-R DVI-D  card, but will it work with a low grade PCIe graphics card? It's the 915 Chipset, so I know that it won't get much better than the LGA775 519k processor already installed but I am finding the GMA integrated graphics a little restrictive.

The Lenovo site shows that the ATI cards that they list are supported by systems and advising " This package has been approved for use with the following systems: A51 ( 8424 ) is listed?

I know a regular PCIe x 16 card will not work ( I even found an old 8400gs in the drawer that I popped in and obviously like others before me, without success ). I even tried taping the lanes rendering it a 1 x card. I slotted in a PCI ( not express ) Geforce FX5200 128mb ( 64bit ) and a FX5500 256mb ( 128bit ) and they both work fine. I really want a PCIe in there though.The riser card has a PCI above the PCIe / ADD2-R slot

Has anyone successfully fitted a PCIe card into an A51? Has anyone fitted one of the ' supported ' ATI cards ?

Yes, I know the system is a dinosaur but I do quite like an older system to play around on every so often.

Any help is very much appreciated

The Lenovo site shows the following :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-68782.html

ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 128MB TV-out PCIe-

ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB TV-out PCIe -

ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB DVI-I TV-Out PCIe

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB VGA, DVI-I, TV-out, PCI-Express Dual Head Graphics Adapter

ATI Radeon X1300 256MB Dual-VGA or Dual-DVI, TV-out, PCI-Express Graphics Adapter

Punch Card
0 Kudos

Re: ThinkCentre A51 (type 8424 ) SFF PCIe slot?

Anyone?