cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahr
Paper Tape
Views: 7,813
Message 1 of 9

ThinkCentre A57 Won’t Boot (or Even POST?)

A friend’s ThinkCentre A57 Type 9202 currently refuses to boot.  At first, it locked up hard a few times during routine operations, but now generally doesn’t even display the initial BIOS screen.  More specifically,

• 90 times out of 100, when the Power switch is pressed, the screen remains blank and the fans continue to operate at high speed.
  • 9 times out of 100, the initial ThinkCentre screen displays, but nothing further, and the fans return to low speed after about five seconds (as one would expect normally).
  • 1 time out of 100, the Windows screen offering to start up in Safe Mode displays, but nothing further, and the fans return to low speed.

One other oddity is that the USB dongle for the wireless keyboard frequently displays no indicator light, even though a digital camera subsequently connected to the same port indicates that it’s charging. This is most likely a red herring, since the same keyboard works properly when connected to a ThinkPad, and in any case, POST should detect and protest a missing keyboard.  (Shouldn’t it?)

I removed the HDD to an external USB cage and copied its data to another machine, so that’s working properly.  My friend reported that removing the drive had no effect on boot-time behavior.

This has otherwise been a fast and reliable machine, and I’d hate to see it junked—especially since I recently spent a day upgrading it from Vista to Windows 7.

The problem is similar to one described in this post, which received no responses.  Has anyone got a suggestion as to the cause and possible remedy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ahr
Paper Tape
Views: 7,808
Message 2 of 9

Re: ThinkCentre A57 Won’t Boot (or Even POST?)

ETA: We've already tried wiggling all of the internal connectors, the RAM, and the PCI cards.
Guru
Views: 7,795
Message 3 of 9

1st Question: Have you considered the coin battery?? The A57 is quite old by now, if the battery has never been changed it could be causing the symptoms you describe. It is a 2032 coin battery, which is available at any home improvement store or wally world. The HMM will give instruction on how to change. (It's very easy) Please let us know if this works!
ahr
Paper Tape
Views: 7,791
Message 4 of 9

Thanks, losmeme.  I had gone so far as to look up the IBM/Lenovo part number, but I'd much rather buy a drugstore hearing-aid battery.  Changing the batter and resetting the BIOS sounds like a good, inexpensive thing to try first-much better than replacing the power supply or motherboard.

Guru
Views: 7,783
Message 5 of 9

It would also be a good time to upgrade to the latest BIOs, if you haven't done so already. Do not ever upgrade the BIOs from within Windows. Always burn the CD iso download to a CD and boot from that. Good luck, hope this works for you.

ahr
Paper Tape
Views: 7,777
Message 6 of 9

Heh. it's not in any state to boot from CD at the moment.
ahr
Paper Tape
Views: 7,755
Message 7 of 9

Replacing the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS seemed to do the trick.  The machine has been OK for a couple of days now

Guru
Views: 7,752
Message 8 of 9

Great news, thanks for posting your results!

electrocreation
What's DOS?
Views: 5,015
Message 9 of 9

Tried changing cmos battery did the trick for relief of high fan and no boot. good lesson to learn.. Thanks to all..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors