cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielGaspari
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,636
Message 1 of 13

ThinkCentre A58: CPU and Graphics upgrade Qs (PCIe 2.0 card in 1.1 slot)

hello guys (my native language is italian excuse me for bad english) I have a thinkcentre A58 7515 with all stock components:

motherboard: l ig41m rev 1.1

cpu: pentium e5200 2.5 ghz

chipset: Intel G41 Express Chipset (PCI Express® x16) max tdp on PCIe 75 watt

ram: 2 slot ram ddr2 667/800mhz stock 1st slot:2gb 2nd slot:1gb soon I will replace the 2nd slot with another 2gb total 4gb (maximum supported by motherboard)

PSU: 280 Watt Robust/80plus

If there are any other questions about specs you can ask.Smiley Happy

Now first what i need is upgrade this pc to a low budget gaming pc and first i need to know if i can upgrade this motherboard with a core 2 duo e8400 that works in others models of a58 like 7705 (mine is 7515) (full specs of this series in this .pdf at page 500 http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ldwbook2013.pdf )

I need to know one other thing about GPU,for now it has integrated grapichs from the cpu and i want upgrade it to a Sapphire R7 240 1GB GDDR5(this gpu only need 45 watt tdp),this card seems to be a best choice for low budget gamers ( I accept suggestions for other GPUs with the same price range 50/60$ even used or refurbished are ok but they can not have more than 75 watts tdp because i haven't got money to upgrade psu and I can only use power supply that pcie slot gives me.  thx for any reply,your help is essential to me for made this build,I would not spend money on something that I do not know if it will work.

Best regards and greetings from ItalySmiley Happy

Mod:  added a problem description to the Subject line.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,614
Message 2 of 13

Re: Question about ThinkCentre A58 7515

I need to know one other thing about GPU,for now it has integrated grapichs from the cpu and i want upgrade it to a Sapphire R7 240 1GB GDDR5 (this gpu only need 45 watt tdp), this card seems to be a best choice for low budget gamers ( I accept suggestions for other GPUs with the same price range 50/60$ even used or refurbished are ok but they can not have more than 75 watts tdp because i haven't got money to upgrade psu and I can only use power supply that pcie slot gives me.  thx for any reply,your help is essential to me for made this build,I would not spend money on something that I do not know if it will work.

While contemporaneous ATI/AMD graphics cards will work, newer generation AMD cards are generally not backward compatible with older ThinkCentres.   I suggest you search for which newer Nvidia will work with your system. 

The readme file for the Nvidia driver for your system has a list of supported cards, but since it is from 2009, it is dated. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
DanielGaspari
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,563
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for reply Smiley Happy video cards that lists the .txt file aro so outdated,i really don't even now if it run minecraft ahaha Smiley Tongue. Jokes aside,do you think it might work this Sapphire? Or any other low profile Gpu that has minimum 1Gb of GDDR5 memory...
DanielGaspari
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,558
Message 4 of 13

Excuse me and for the cpu upgrade from p e5200 to core 2duo e8400 there are any problems?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,552
Message 5 of 13

@DanielGaspari wrote:
Thanks for reply Smiley Happy video cards that lists the .txt file aro so outdated,i really don't even now if it run minecraft ahaha Smiley Tongue.

Agreed.   But at least Nvidia supplies one, while AMD does not.  That list is similar to the one for M58 (but dated 2011), which is known to work with newer Nvidia cards including GT 710 & GT 730. 

Jokes aside,do you think it might work this Sapphire?

Doubtful.   See this thread of it not working on a newer system, and here

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
DanielGaspari
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,531
Message 6 of 13

Really thank you bro for support..at this point i buy a GT 710 or 730 but in Italy stock nvidia's are not easy to find...MSI or Zotac versions are the same?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,523
Message 7 of 13

MSI or Zotac versions are the same?

They have the same Nvidia processor, but everything can be different: interfaces, memory speed, size, cooler. 

Since you're interested in gaming, I suggest you look at those with DDR5 (performance is 50-75% better than DDR3):  Gt 630, 720, 730  for the best deal.   And 1GB is sufficient, unless you're gaming on multiple monitors or a 4K. 

DanielGaspari
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,520
Message 8 of 13

I don't want gaming in ultra,probably low/medium settings but you're talking about an M58 not a A58 like mine,i'm not sureley about compatibility with motherboard,the principal question is can i install stock drivers of this cars (msi,zotac,nvidia) or i need a "special" driver who only lenovo can provide...
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,518
Message 9 of 13

Stock drivers.  Download direct from the Nvidia site for your card and OS.  Get the latest version that is whql certified. 

DanielGaspari
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,503
Message 10 of 13

Thank you very much,when i finish to upgrade I'll let you know the results,I definitely chose nvidia or other reference versions of it,probably msi but i don't now I still have to decide.One last question PciE x16 1.0 and 2.0 are backward compatibility between....the only thing is the lowest data transfer rate..right?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors