cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PHGustavsson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,124
Message 1 of 6

ThinkCentre A70 (7099) case fan, what size?

Hi,

I need to get some more air flowing through my ThinkCentre A70 (7099).

There's a place for a fan in the rear of the case below the PSU. I've measured it and I think it's either a 92MM fan or a 100MM fan but I don't want to buy the wrong size fan.

I can't find any information about it on any document from Lenovo. There is no information what so ever about a rear case fan for the ThinkCentre A70 anywhere. Smiley Sad

Which size is it?

Regards

P-H, Sweden

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,107
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkCentre A70 (7099) case fan, what size?

It's a different case than my M series, but based on these photos, it looks to be similar size, and my M series has a 92 mm fan in the rear location. Confirm it by finding schematic for a 92 mm fan and compare measurements for the round mounting holes.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6892515

The second thing you'll need to confirm is whether your motherboard has a 3 or 4 pin fan header, or if the power supply has a spare molex connector with which you can power the fan.
I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
PHGustavsson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,103
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

There is a spare 4 pin PWM fan header on the motherboard.

I think I will have to remove one of the 92 mm fans from my other PC and check if it aligns with the mounting holes on the A70.

Most likely it's 92 mm... it's a much more common fan size than 100 mm.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,098
Message 4 of 6

You might want to use a 3-pin fan with speed adapters, so you can control the amount of air flow (rather than rely on what the BIOS thinks is correct.)   I have the precurser to one of these installed with the medium speed adapter:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=104&lng=en

"3 speed settings for full flexibility
Providing 1600, 1250 and 1050 rpm speed settings via the supplied Low-Noise and Ultra-Low-Noise Adapters, the NF-A9 FLX (Flexibility) can be fine-tuned for superior airflow or maximum quietness."

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
PHGustavsson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,070
Message 5 of 6

@BiggAl wrote:

You might want to use a 3-pin fan with speed adapters, so you can control the amount of air flow (rather than rely on what the BIOS thinks is correct.)

That is a valid point. But then again, why wouldn't the BIOS be able to control the air flow inside the case? I mean, the extra case fan socket is 4 pin by a choise. The people that designed the MOBO hopefully also designed the BIOS features for it.

But I think I will go with a standard 3 pin fan anyway, so I can control the speed and airflow (and noise) of it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,063
Message 6 of 6

I upgraded the graphics card so that I could run 4 monitors for work, which generates a lot more heat than the stock card, and the BIOS wasn't compensating for that, so I changed to a fixed speed fans front and back.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors