Options

2 Posts

10-21-2019

US

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 1 of 1

ThinkCentre A70Z starts up, but screen doesn't come on and hard drive doesn't boot

2019-10-21, 19:44 PM

I had this issue last year and a system restore seemed to fix it, but that didn't help this time around. Anyway, what happens is I turn my computer on, the fans come on like normal and almost everything lights up like it should, but the hard drive doesn't seem to boot up and the screen doesn't turn on at all. Sometimes when I hit the power button, I hear the fan for a moment, it stops, then it goes back on and stays on. Other times it just fires up and the fans blow without a hitch.

I've tried turning it off and on repeatedly until I got it to stay on, which used to help, but now it doesn't. I've tried unplugging all the external stuff like the keyboard and mouse (some places suggested this can help) and booting up with just the power cable, which doesn't help anymore either, but I notice sometimes it doesn't cause that little hiccup with the fans when I do it this way. As far as I know, it's not overheating, and all the stuff I have plugged into the USB ports is recognized (mouse, phone charger, tablet) upon startup.

I can't do the usual stuff like running in Safe Mode and hitting F2 because I don't make it that far in the bootup process, so I assume it's a hardware problem rather than software. I don't know if this is a power issue causing the screen to not come on, or a hard drive issue (since the hard drive icon doesn't light up - it flickers for a second). But I'm leaning toward a power issue.

I've got a couple things I intend to try doing later that I got from similar topics like holding down the power button while it's unplugged for 60 seconds, releasing for 30, then holding again for 60, and replacing the CMOS battery. Is there anything else anyone could suggest I try? I've looked for similar answers, but it seems like most people can at least get to their startup screen before things go south and go from there.

I also have no manual or disk to go by because this is a second-hand computer someone gave to me. As far as I know, nothing updated because I have updates turned off and/or my internet is too awful to download updates. If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 and haven't installed anything new lately, and unfortunately, I don't know many other specifics off the top of my head.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete