Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hummela
Paper Tape
Views: 1,003
Message 1 of 6

ThinkCentre E63z BIOS Recovery

I have a ThinkCentre E63z 10D4 model all-in-one.  I attempted to update the BIOS using the Flash UEFI BIOS update (Flash from operating system version).  This seems to have failed spectacularly, as the computer will no longer boot.  It will power on, show the Lenovo splash screen, go to a black screen, then reboot endlessly like this.  I have tried following every guide there is to recover this thing.  I have tried making a USB disk and booting from it, but it seems that USB devices aren't even being initialized during POST.  No lights come on the keyboard at all, and no input seems to work.  I have tried F1, F2, F12, holding down the function key while trying these, and absolutely nothing changes.  I got so desperate that I pulled a CD drive out of another computer and held the thing together with it plugged into the HDD SATA connector on the main board - no dice there either.  Won't even spin up the disk.

What am I doing wrong?  How can I recover the BIOS on this thing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 977
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkCentre E63z BIOS Recovery

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/e63z_aio_hmm.pdf

Page 64, recovering from Bios update failure.

You will need the BIOS flash on CD.

You will move the CMOS/recovery jumper from position 1-2 to 2-3. This is Maintenance position. Reboot machine with CD in CD slot. Reflash will occur.

Shutdown machine.  Move Cmos jumper back to position 1-2. Boot machine.

This is an extremely small jumper. Dont lose it. Use a magnifying glass and tweezers.

Stay away from air conditioning vents or any place this jumper might get lost in.

hummela
Paper Tape
Views: 971
Message 3 of 6

See, that's the thing.  There is no CD drive built into the machine itself.  I had moved the jumper to the maintenance position, but nothing different happened.  The CD drive that I had cobbled onto the SATA port didn't even spin.  Neither did the USB CD reader that I had.  I burned the .ISO file to CD, but inside of that was only a .IMG file and a .ROM file.  When attempting to open the .IMG image, it said it was corrupt, and that I could not burn that file.  I burned the .ISO just as it was from the website but I don't see how this is even bootable.  Is there something different I should be doing to burn the recovery .ISO?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 968
Message 4 of 6

F1 is access to BIOS at boot time.  Boot machine and hit this key repeatedly.

If you can get into BIOS, change boot order to USB stick(flash), with USB stick in machine at boot time.

hummela
Paper Tape
Views: 963
Message 5 of 6

Nope... Absolutely nothing.  Tried the keyboard in all 3 USB ports.  Tried holding down the Fn key while pressing F1. Tried while not pressing the Fn key.  Tried mashing the F1 key.  Tried hitting it just once at the splash screen.  All I get is the reboot loop without seeing any sort of feedback.  No lights even flash on the keyboard.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 950
Message 6 of 6

I burned the .ISO file to CD, but inside of that was only a .IMG file and a .ROM file.  When attempting to open the .IMG image, it said it was corrupt, and that I could not burn that file.  I burned the .ISO just as it was from the website but I don't see how this is even bootable.  Is there something different I should be doing to burn the recovery .ISO?

I burned a CD-RW on my ThinkPad with the latest .iso file downloaded from the Levono support page for your system (the file just as it was downloaded from Lenovo using FireFox), rebooted my ThinkPad and it booted into DOS and a C: prompt from the CD (the update program didn't run since it wasn't the correct system)   This thread maybe of some assistance:   M900x & Tiny: Recover from failed BIOS update (CMOS jumper)

f-e63z cd iso.png

P1010528.JPGP1010529.JPG

Top Kudoed Authors