Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomoloco
Paper Tape
Views: 1,335
Message 1 of 7

ThinkCentre Edge 72 Partition

Hi,

Got a ThinkCentre Edge72 that I am attempting to recover to factory settings. The partition drive with the Lenovo_Recovery is there, however pressing F11 on start up does nothing. I can access Windows System Recovery Options, when I try System Image Recovery, it is unable to find an image.

Further inspection suggests that someone had installed a fresh copy of Windows by other means thus removing any Lenovo software/tools which I think might be what I'm missing to access the Lenovo recovery options correctly.

Is there any tools avilable that may allow me to use F11 and use the Lenovo_Recovery Partition?

Thanks

Tom

tomoloco
Paper Tape
Views: 1,320
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkCentre Edge 72 Partition

I've installed Rescue and Recovery which now lets F11 work, however if I select the Factory Restore option it takes me back to Windows System Recovery Options which has the same issue of not being able to find the image.

The Lenovo_Recovery partition has 9GB used of 20GB, but when looking inside the drive there's no files, not even hidden files.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,304
Message 3 of 7

The typical Factory ship at that time had:

C drive

Q drive, factory recovery

S drive, standalone RNR(PF11) 

You could PF11 boot standalone RNR. If it did NOT find the Q drive, factory restore option is not offered.   

Factory system would offer recovery via RNR on the S drive, and transfer control to windows PE environment to run factory recovery from the Q drive with Q drive OS, not standalone.

You have installed RNR and PF11 works. Do you have RNR folders on the C drive for standalone RNR?

You can order factory recovery DVD from the support center for a cost.

tomoloco
Paper Tape
Views: 1,281
Message 4 of 7

I managed to access the files in the Lenovo_Recovery partition, it's labelled as D: for me, but I can see the configuration files reference Q:

A file stands out called LenovoQDrive which starts by saying I can create the Recovery Media, however it is unable to find recovburncd.exe which I've read is not easily obtained.

Then there is a folder FactoryRecovery which has .wim files, both appear to be complete backups of C: and S:

It has lead to reveiling I do not have an S: drive. So going to create that now and try F11 RNR!

To answer your question, I installed RNR from Lenovo's website, 4.52 I believe.

Thanks

Tom

tomoloco
Paper Tape
Views: 1,279
Message 5 of 7

Actually I found that recovburncd.exe within one of the .wim files.

I appear to making Boot Media now.
tomoloco
Paper Tape
Views: 1,273
Message 6 of 7

I've gone too far, I used the Boot Media disk and it worked a bit until it started asking for Applications and Drivers disk.

The small bit that it's done has wiped the OS. So unless I find a disk, it's finished.

I've always had the backup plan installing Windows fresh and getting drivers from Lenovo, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Any idea where I can get an Applications and Drivers disk from? I don't want to pay for it.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,269
Message 7 of 7

The typical recovery set is 3 or 4 DVDs.

(1) Boot media which is the recovery OS

(2)the actual windows system to load onto the C drive

(3)supplemental vendor applications

(4)....... optional dvd... additional vendor applications. 

You need at least dvd1 and dvd2 to get your system up.

You could try to REPLY no to the DVD requested and see it the recovery continues.

You might try to locate a retail windows 7 install DVD and activate it with the OEM sticker on your machine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors