cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arneg
Paper Tape
Views: 21,406
Message 1 of 10

ThinkCentre: Error 00ce after motherboard replacement - invalid model and serial

Hi all,

We recently have a defective board on one m93z, i got a technicien who came changing the board. After the motherboard switch i had a bios alert telling me that the serial number and the model are invalid in the bios. I ran a bios update from the exe on this website but it didn't work (os version). 

The tech told me it was easy to change but right now, i have no idea what to do.

should i use winphlash and how?

Mod:  edited Subject line to expand the problem description

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 21,394
Message 2 of 10

Re: Error 00ce after board replacements

Good day and welcome to the community.

If the process for your machine is similar to that for ThinkPads, then the Lenovo-authorized servicer will have the software tools to set the info in your BIOS. These tools are not available to end users / consumers.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 21,814
Message 3 of 10

Download the CD ISO version of the BIOS update for your machine. Burn this to disc and boot the computer from it. During the BIOS update, you are given the chance to update machine Model/Type and Serial Number.

Update:  or use a USB drive and the process given in a post below. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 21,361
Message 4 of 10

@losmeme wrote:

Download the CD iso version of the BIOs update for your machine. Burn this to disc and boot the computer from it. During the BIOs update, you are given the chance to update machine Model/Type and Serial Number.

Is this unique to BIOS updates on ThinkCentre machines?

I've never seen this ability in ThinkPad BIOS updates. It's well-known that there is a Service Center-only tool for updating this info.

Regards.

Edit to add: I don't know if this applies to other models besides the M93z, but referring to page 130 of the HMM:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m93z_hmm.pdf losmeme is spot-on. The CD update version should offer the option to enter these values. Definitely different than the ThinkPad process.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Arneg
Paper Tape
Views: 21,335
Message 5 of 10

i already updated the bios with the exe but i'll give it a try.

thanks,

Arneg
Paper Tape
Views: 21,326
Message 6 of 10

Yes it works, 

Really simple, it asked if i want to update it. so i said yes and rewrite it

thanks a lot. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 21,324
Message 7 of 10

Glad things worked!

And, thanks for marking the solution post. It may help other members.

Cheers.

iddqds
What's DOS?
Views: 3,817
Message 8 of 10

1-insert an empty small capacity usb stick

2-download rufus and run it

3-choose the usb stick on DEVICE menu

4-choose FREEDOS on BOOT SELECTION menu and click START. WAIT FEW SECONDS TO COMPLETE.

5-download USB DRIVE UEFI BIOS FLASH PACKAGE zip file on the bios downloads section of the relevant device page and copy its contents into usb and overwrite Autoexec.bat when asked (not command.com) . If you don't have that file check contents of iso file available to download. It must have few files including an autoexec.bat. copy them all into usb.

6-boot from usb stick using f12 at startup. Rest is on your screen.

Michaelgowers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 797
Message 9 of 10

I have the same problem.  The side sticker is missing the serial number.

When boot bios beep beep. Missing serial and model number. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 752
Message 10 of 10

Run 'sys info' from Windows, does it show something valid for the model number?  Do you have any paperwork from when you bought it?  It may have that info on it. 

Otherwise, you may need to research on the Lenovo website, and via Google, what your system model is, and input your best guess.  And make up a serial number - both my ThinkCentres serial numbers start with 'MJ', the M73 is 8 alphanumeric long, the older M91p is 7. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors