cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robkn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,514
Message 1 of 37

ThinkCentre: Failed uEFI / BIOS update. Two 2 beeps. Is there any hope?

I've performed so many BIOS updates over the years, including on this machine, and never had a single one fail. Until now.

The machine is a M92p tower, i7-3770, Type 3212. I applied the 9SKT99USA (Flash from operating system version). It seemed to start out OK, went thru at least one reboot, displayed a step in yellow text, then went to "Updating BIOS...." at the bottom of the screen, then froze. Now, when I try to start it will display "lenovo" and that's it.

I tried the clear CMOS thing with the jumper change. It beeped twice. Unfortunately, when I restart I get the same result as above.

Is there any hope?

Thanks in advance.

Mod:  edited Subject line to include other ThinkCentre models

OvidiuD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,499
Message 2 of 37

Re: Failed uEFI / BIOS update M92p. Is there any hope?

Try to flash an older version of BIOS maybe.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,492
Message 3 of 37

Try to flash from CD:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/DESKTOPS-AND-ALL-IN-ONES/THINKCENTRE-M-SERIES-DESKTOPS/T...

Try 1st with jumper in 1-2 position. If this fails try with jumper is 2-3 position.

After flash in 2-3 position, move jumper back to 1-2 before reboot.

robkn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,464
Message 4 of 37

As far as flashing to an older version, I do have one, but it's on that computer. Does anyone have a link to a page that lists older versions? I can't find one. THX

robkn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,458
Message 5 of 37

@sclexman wrote:

..try with jumper is 2-3 position. After flash in 2-3 position, move jumper back to 1-2 before reboot.

OMG -- This is what worked!! With the BIOS update on an ISO CD.

I never would have thought of that in a million years!!  The maintenance manual said nothing about that. Frankly, I could not imagine it would work. When that BIOS display popped up I about wet myself. Dude, I so owe you.  Do you have a Paypal account--I'll send you some money for support? Seriously. You saved me from buying another computer and going through hours of work.

The weird thing is, when the BIOS display came up, the fan on the computer started up and blowing 100 mph. It was blowing the curtain in the window. I was worried that I was going to have to live with some freakish issue that developed, but after the BIOS update completed and I set a few things and saved, then booted up to Win 10, and did another shutdown/restart cycle, the fan went back to normal. Things seem to be OK.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,454
Message 6 of 37

HMM page 267

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m82m92p_hmm.pdf

Boot block recovery...maintenance mode.. 

Older tower HMM's did not document the jumper movement. Your HMM does document the jumper movement.

Glad all is now well.

Eutechnyx
Punch Card
Views: 9,430
Message 7 of 37

robkn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,392
Message 8 of 37

@Eutechnyx wrote:

Guys, are you ok?

Open ThinkCentre M82 and M92/p Hardware Maintenance Manual, page 273.

You're right. I had initially followed some instructions about clearing cmos where you do the change to pins 2-3, but without media in the CD drive. I got the 2 beeps, powered off, pulled power, put the jumper back to 1-2 and restarted, expecting to boot from an image I had made on a flash drive. It was a total fail. Made no difference.

What I must have done is quickly scanned the boot-block procedure in the HMM and noticed the part about pins 2-3 without really reading the details about performing the process while leaving the jumper on 2-3 and having boot media in the drive.

So, would this still work with a flash drive instead of a CD?

Thanks for bringing my poor reading comprehension to my attention, Eutechnyx.

Eutechnyx
Punch Card
Views: 9,380
Message 9 of 37

I'll share my experience that i've had with M93p. I've tried to update it, got same results with stucked logo and full black screen after further restarting.

You'll need FAT32-formatted USB drive. NTFS won't work. Just format it to make it blank.

No need to make it bootable or anything like that with utility. Unpack archive that named "USB Drive UEFI BIOS Flash Package" on Lenovo download section to the root of this USB. Make sure you see file IMAGE9S.CAP at the root folder of your flash drive (i'm pretty sure everything will work with that only one file at the USB, all other are not needed at all).

Stick it to the USB port on the back side. Disconnect any other USB devices and SATA cables on the mainboard (DVD, HDD etc.). Short a jumper as stated in PDF, press PWR ON. It should boot directly into flashing mode. Once done, put jumper back as well as other devices. Turn on PC again.

Just for the statistics, try to update using windows utility after successfull USB-flashing. Will utility shows you any errors like in my case with M93p?

amoon
Paper Tape
Views: 8,733
Message 10 of 37

After I perform system upgrade with bios ugrade the whole system is down and not working.

the device upgrade the latest bios and reboot to update the new fimware, but after this device did not come up.

only the led for power and hdd keep blinking.

The screen is blank and do not show any acticity of booting into bios. I tried to follow the instruction above but no sucess.

Non of the device like monitor/keyboard/mouse is detected.

pleae guide me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors