Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Greavsie
Paper Tape
Views: 114
Message 1 of 2

ThinkCentre: How to upgrade Windows 7 on PC downgraded from Windows 8

We have 3 Thinkcentre E73 desktops that were sold with Windows 8 but downgraded to Windows 7 and as support for Windows 7 is coming to an end we wish to upgrade back to Windows 8. Can anybody give a step by step guide to the procedure, I am led to believe it may involve changing BIOS settings but could be wrong. Any help much appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 98
Message 2 of 2

Re: Upgrade downgraded pc

From the link in the "Read First ..." thread above:

"One option for keeping your existing system is to update to Win 8.1, 64-bit (which has extended support until Jan 2023), and install the Stardock "Start8" utility to replace the truly awful Windows 8 start menu with a Win 7 like customizable start menu.  If your system is new enough, it may already have a Win 8 key, stored in an encrypted format in the BIOS or UEFI firmware, but was downgraded to Win 7.  The install ISO file can be downloaded directly from Microsoft, and if needed, a Win 8.1 license (key) can be purchased on Ebay or other resale marketplaces. 

If you only have 4 GB memory, you may need to upgrade to 8 GB , as Win 8 uses more memory than did Win 7, and a 64-bit OS uses more than 32-bit.  In addition, more memory is needed by a modern web browser (not Internet Explorer), which are more feature rich and much more secure, and absolutely necessary from a security standpoint (Firefox, Chrome.)  Microsoft themselves have said not to use IE except for extreme cases of compatibility where no modern browser will work."

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors