Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greavsie
Paper Tape
Views: 102
Message 1 of 2

ThinkCentre: How to upgrade Windows 7 on PC downgraded from Windows 8

We have 3 Thinkcentre E73 desktops that were sold with Windows 8 but downgraded to Windows 7 and as support for Windows 7 is coming to an end we wish to upgrade back to Windows 8. Can anybody give a step by step guide to the procedure, I am led to believe it may involve changing BIOS settings but could be wrong. Any help much appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 86
Message 2 of 2

Re: Upgrade downgraded pc

From the link in the "Read First ..." thread above:

"One option for keeping your existing system is to update to Win 8.1, 64-bit (which has extended support until Jan 2023), and install the Stardock "Start8" utility to replace the truly awful Windows 8 start menu with a Win 7 like customizable start menu.  If your system is new enough, it may already have a Win 8 key, stored in an encrypted format in the BIOS or UEFI firmware, but was downgraded to Win 7.  The install ISO file can be downloaded directly from Microsoft, and if needed, a Win 8.1 license (key) can be purchased on Ebay or other resale marketplaces. 

If you only have 4 GB memory, you may need to upgrade to 8 GB , as Win 8 uses more memory than did Win 7, and a 64-bit OS uses more than 32-bit.  In addition, more memory is needed by a modern web browser (not Internet Explorer), which are more feature rich and much more secure, and absolutely necessary from a security standpoint (Firefox, Chrome.)  Microsoft themselves have said not to use IE except for extreme cases of compatibility where no modern browser will work."

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors