Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

ThinkCentre M51 8142-38S Power supply for GeForce 9600GT

We have a ThinkCentre M51 and we are receiving a new video card PNY GeForce 9600GT for gaming purpose. According with specs we need to upgrade the M51 for a minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A) and 1 6-pin supplementary power connector. We have an additional SATA disk drive already installed.

Would you guide us with recommendations for power supply?

Thanks in advance

Lenovo Employee
0 Kudos

Re: ThinkCentre M51 8142-38S Power supply for GeForce 9600GT

You can safely use just about any ATX compatible power supply in the tower systems.

I checked one of those systems here in the lab and there is no reason why you can't use a standard ATX power supply in your desktop system as well.  Since its a Desktop (4x4) mechanical it has enough space to fit most ATX power supplies.  We don't test the systems with other power supplies but from what I can see here it should work for you.  Just make sure that the power supply you order has all of the connectors you need. 
Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Ed, thanks for your response. Would you (or anyone in the forum) help me with what should I ask for the power supply? I mean, what kind of questions I should ask in order to keep the M51 running with the original equipment, the additional SATA drive and the new video card we are getting. I read the detailed specifications for the ThinkCentre 8142 Power supply and it just mention: 310 watt supply with variable fan speed; 110 volt or 220 volt operation controlled by a switch on the back of the unit. I read in the Wikipedia the ATX form factor has had five main power supply designs: ATX, WTX , AMD, EPS12V  and ATX12V (4 versions) It is kind of confusiong and I’m not an expert on technology so I’d appreciate some more guidance.
Punch Card
0 Kudos

I can see this is an old post. However, you should not use anything less than a decent quality 400 watt power supply with a 9600 GT. Also, I have found that such cards generally do not fit in most Thinkcentre ATX cases. You need a low profile card. There is only one low profile 9600 GT that I am aware of, manufactured by Galaxy. Most 8600 GT's are low profile, however. And those would not require any PSU upgrade.