Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_39_81
What's DOS?
Views: 9,491
Message 1 of 5

ThinkCentre M53 Tiny Desktop - Factory Reset

Hi all -

I have a ThinkCentre M53 Tiny Desktop with Windows 7 Embedded on it and I'm trying to reset the device to factory defaults with a clean Windows 7 image.  Is there any built in utility or method to accomplish this?  Thanks.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 9,466
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkCentre M53 Tiny Desktop - Factory Reset

Hi m_39_81, welcome to the forums,

from a cold start you should press the Enter key or F11 to bring up the recovery options, you should then be able to recover the system to it's original* state when you received it. 

*N.B.  If MS office came preinstalled this will not be recovered but can be downloaded from MS using your MS account or Office license number.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

m_39_81
What's DOS?
Views: 9,455
Message 3 of 5

Andy -

I tried pressing F11 during bootup and nothing occurs.

When I press ENTER, I'm presented with the following options:

1.  ESC to resume normal startup

2.  F1 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility

3.  F10 to diagnose hardware

4.  F12 to choose temp startup device

I looked under the above options and I do not see a factory reset option.  Please advise.  Thanks. 

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 9,446
Message 4 of 5

OK, it seems possible that at some point the system has been installed using installation media rather than from the recovery partition / media or something else has "damaged" the boot sector.

Before you start with any of the following you need to ensure that you have a recovery partition which you can check in disc management.  If the partition exists make all files visible in Control Panel, Folder Options, View; this includes making hidden and protected system files visible.  If it doesn't exist then you need to consider the third and fourth points below.

edit; use file explorer to check there is something in the partition you hopefully discovered actually exists in disc management.

First off, I would check to see if you can still create recovery media; this will be created from the recovery partition and require 1 cd as first (boot) disc and then 3-4 DVDs as actual recovery media.  How to create recovery media, hopefully the instructions fit the version you have installed.

Secondly, and before using the recovery media assuming you could create them, I would re-install the Rescue and Recovery Utility; with a little luck this will repair the boot sector for you negating the need for the recovery media you created but will still be useful for "that" day.  It may be that you find the preinstalled version of R & R in the folder C:\SWTOOLS.

Thirdly, if none of the above works for you and you just happen to have an identical system at hand you could create recovery media on that system for use on the first system.

Fourthly and lastly, contact support and order a set of recovery discs assuming you don't wish to install from other media.  Costs may apply here.

Hope something in there helps you more than just keeping you busy for a while.

Regards

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

DPDSoftware
What's DOS?
Views: 3,515
Message 5 of 5

I tried this and I got the F11 option but when I select F11 it continues as if I hit Esc and goes to a  normal startup which is failing.  So I am still stuck in a loop.

I will go ahead and try the other suggetions.

Thanks.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors