Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GNVG
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,581
Message 1 of 4

ThinkCentre M55 Upgrade Help

So I have a few questions about this PC I acquired recently, still being somewhat of a newbie to the building/modifying PC world. I have found the overview and the detailed specifications page on this PC, but for me, they are a bit hard to understand.

What my ultimate goal is that i'll be able to make this into an XP Era gaming computer, have a lot of old PC games and I would like to play them. Yes I know its a bit silly to do when there's Steam and X amount of core processors available, but for nostalgia's sake, humor me.

So specs first, then questions.

Lenovo/IBM ThinkCentre

M55(not sure if its a p, e, or whatever else there is)

Model#: 8811FHU

Serial#: LKHZFV3

Motherboard: LENOVO LGA775

Socket 775 LGA

Processor: Intel Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz

Ram: 2G

Bios Version: LENOVO 2JKT35AUS 4/30/07

So here are my questions,

- Is the mobo 64 bit compatible or is it up to the cpu? (I plan on putting XP 64 bit if so)

- What is the max amount, max speed the mobo can handle? (And if I put higher speed ram in would it be beneficial or would it just clock it down to whatever it needed)

- Is is possible to upgrade the cpu at all and if so what are some of my options? (say to a 945 Pentium D 3.0 GHz or anything better?)

- How does the whole mobo controls cpu choice/ cpu dictates ram speed/ ram limited to mobo or however it goes work anyways?

- Best or any graphics cards that still support XP out there? (more than 256MB, and dual monitor setup possible?)

- I heard you can put XP on a SSD, but its not recommended without certain settings, thoughts?

Any input on any of these questions would be a great help to me.

Greg

Guru
Views: 2,529
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkCentre M55 Upgrade Help

Welcome GNVG

The following link: Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre M55 (type 6487, 8012, 8794, 8798, 8802, 8806, 8811, 8816) will answer most of your questions. 

To answer your questions in order: 
1. Both CPU and motherboard will determine the maximum capacity and speed of the memory. M55 is 64-bit compatible.

2. The maximum amount of RAM for M55 8811 is 8 GB, and the maximum supported speed is PC2-6400 (800 MHz). The performance gain will be minimal. 

3. The best CPU M55 could support will be Core 2 Duo E6700, due to Intel Q965 chip limitations. Even though there are newer processor with same socket that will physically fit in, but it will not work.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/Q965_Express.html

4. The motherboard controls CPU choices and dictate RAM speed by the chipset. (Newer Core i machines dictate RAM speed by the CPU itself). Newer chipset would usually support more memory and better CPU.

5. Graphic Card choices is limited by the version of PCI express slots (common for OEM machines)

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/graphics-card-compatibility/td-p/696771

6. You can run XP on SSD, but you would need to inject SATA drivers with 3rd party tools as Windows XP does not have SATA driver natively. For SSD, just get those with SATA2 (3.0 Gbps), as you would not be able to benefit from SATA3 (6.0 Gbps) SSD with the bottleneck from Q965 chipset on M55 motherboard.

7. To have better compatibility with different apps and driver, and to have less issues while installing, I would recommend Windows 7 x64 over Windows XP x64.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have any other queries. Smiley Happy

Peter
ThinkPad X40 | ThinkPad W520 | ThinkPad T560 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 | Vibe K5 Plus

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

T520 | W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900 ; P50 ; P40 Yoga | Yoga 14 | Yoga 460 ; T560 | P50s

Highlighted
GNVG
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,497
Message 3 of 4

First off, thank you for replying and answering all of my questions, it was a huge help to me.
But of course I have a couple more questions.

Why would the Core2 Duo E6700 be the best choice out of the other processors on that list?

Say compared to a Pentium D 970, its still a dual core, its GHz is much higher at 3.8. Is it the bus speed or the fact that it can take more or a higher ram speed, or is it just newer technology that makes it better?

Greg
Guru
Views: 2,476
Message 4 of 4

Hi GNVG

Core 2 Duo E6700 is based on newer CPU technology, there are several factors that determine CPU performance other than clock speed and the amount of cores.

This link will give you a rough reference of performance difference between Core 2 Duo and Pentium D.

Peter
ThinkPad X40 | ThinkPad W520 | ThinkPad T560 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 | Vibe K5 Plus

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

T520 | W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900 ; P50 ; P40 Yoga | Yoga 14 | Yoga 460 ; T560 | P50s

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors