Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbraden
Not applicable
Views: 56,347
Message 31 of 86

Re: ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds constantly 100%

Recently have had 3 systems in for service that had loud fan issue, mainly MT7483 A16 Thinkcentre M58p.  Issue is the loud fan, no post, no beeps.  I removed all cables from back, removed ram, removed the hard drive to get those out of the way, still does the loud fan.  Reseated cables on the motherboard, then put in a different cpu, same, put in a different psu, same, replacing motherboards for all three of these, took these steps to narrow down to just the motherboard. 

tbraden
Not applicable
Views: 56,346
Message 32 of 86

I also removed the cmos battery as well, just a heads up, and it did the same.
tbraden
Not applicable
Views: 56,149
Message 33 of 86

Haven't had too many more recently but the replacement of the motherboards on these resolved most of the issues relating to the constant fan running 100 percent.  The last three I worked on after I replaced the motherboard no loud fan running constantly, all working as normal now. 

JameZ
Not applicable
Views: 55,924
Message 34 of 86

Hi All,

In regards to this issue, I've read through the whole thread and tbraden has mentioned that after doing a motherboard replacement, issue has been resolved.

For those who are still having issues, please fill up the following information needed and I will cascade it to engineering for their assistance on this.

• Model
  • BIOS version
  • OS loaded (ex. Win 7 64bit)
  • Lenovo default OS?
  • Updates from TVSU completed?
  • Updates from Windows Updates?
  • Power Manager Version
  • Power Management Driver
  • Fan Speed
  • What software used to check speed
  • Processor Temp
  • HDD Temp
  • RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?)
  • How long the PC is running before the fan increases speed
  • Any 3rd party parts which has been added into the PC.

//JameZ

tbraden
Not applicable
Views: 55,819
Message 35 of 86

I apologize I have not responded in awhile, get caught up in the work.  Here's some general information I can provide:

* Model - 7483A16
    * BIOS version - Vanilla, 5CKt68A, or later
    * OS loaded (ex. Win 7 64bit) - Windows xp
    * Lenovo default OS?  Custom windows xp image
    * Updates from TVSU completed?  - ....?
    * Updates from Windows Updates?  - We send updates manually
    * Power Manager Version  - ....?
    * Power Management Driver - ....?
    * Fan Speed - I don't have any tools to check this at this time
    * What software used to check speed - I don't have any tools to check this at this time
    * Processor Temp - I don't have any tools to check this at this time
    * HDD Temp - I don't have any tools to check this at this time
    * RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?) - slot 1 = 2GB slot 3 = 1GB
    * How long the PC is running before the fan increases speed - varies, issue can occur 15 seconds after you plug power cable in, to after its been on overnight and is turned off, it turns itself back on and is loud.  Quite similar to no video no post sometimes,
    * Any 3rd party parts which has been added into the PC.
Far as I know all parts are from lenovo as we have a lease through lenovo.  

tbraden
Not applicable
Views: 55,818
Message 36 of 86

Motherboard FRU type 64Y3055
CPU E8400 Core 2 duo 3GHZ

ham_vcs
Not applicable
Views: 55,798
Message 37 of 86

Re: ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds do not respond to Processor Load

A few weeks ago after again calling IBM Support and getting another Incident Number, I was asked to

have an IBM Customer Engineer replace the Motherboard and Fan/Heatsink assembly.  I made arrangements

with "Steve" to come to my officeand I would bring in a display, keyboard, mouse ,and my

7483-W59 (M58p) system unit.  "Steve" did a great job and I noticed that there was a new Heatsink on one

of the Intel controller chips (Memory Controller, I believe).  This, of course, meant a new part numbered

motherboard.   I mentioned that I would  comment here regarding closure on the fan-speedup issue.   I'm PLEASED to

report that after many hours, it appears that the fan controls have been appropriately applied with this new motherboard.

The M58p uses Intel QST (Quiet System Technology) and it appears that QST is running OK here on that board.

As to the SpeedFan software reporting a "negative number" for the CPU die, it has been reported in a forum for

SpeedFan that the first Core number added to the Absolute Value of the "CPU" die value equals 100 and only the

Core "x" numbers should be used.   End Of Story and a Happy One at that.   Stay Cool!

tbraden
Not applicable
Views: 55,750
Message 38 of 86

Been on here recently as I've received another batch of fan issues.  Most recent issue I proceeded with the following steps: Swapped in diff pair of ram, same loud fan, put in just single amount of ram, same thing, took out ram, same thing, moving past the ram, swapped out cpu, same thing, tested a different PSU for good measure, same thing, Tested a different motherboard, cpu, ram, same case, that works.  Put original items back in case except a different motherboard, in this case it did the loud fan issue, which can be quite a bit frustrating to try and figure out what the offending part is as it would seem like I've swapped everything out.  I don't get cases like this too often, but I did just ended up putting a whole different motherboard, cpu, ram.  This was tested with only power cable plugged in from back, no usb connections on either front or back. 

Issue: No post, no beeps, no video, loud fan, worked fine before, does same no usb connections connected and just power cable. 

Issue resolution: Motherboard, CPU, Ram

Carlos_007
Not applicable
Views: 55,663
Message 39 of 86

I have 60 of this machines in a public library, and 9 of them have died, from overheated processors. Humm not god I will never, never buy or recommend IBM to nobody, by the way I also have 75 dell machines from 12 to 1 year old and none, none of then our out.  Humm.

Highlighted
JameZ
Not applicable
Views: 55,943
Message 40 of 86

Hi All,

Engineering has suggested the following.

ScreenShot207.jpg

1. Power down system
  2. Remove power cord (power cable from PSU to AC) from power supply.
  3. Clear CMOS jumper in item #17
  4. Remove battery in item #25
  5. Hold power button for 5 seconds
  6. Replace power cord (power cable from PSU to AC)
  7. Power On then hold Power again to Power off
  8. Connect CMOS jumper back on Pin 1 & 2
  9. Replace the battery in item #25
  10. Power up (system beep twice)
  11. Press F1 for BIOS
  12. Set default to the BIOS
  13. Set time and date
  14. Press F10 to save BIOS settings
  15. Check if Fan is running at 100%

Do let me know if step provided above helps.

//JameZ

edit comment - change some steps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors