Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
University_Deck
What's DOS?
Views: 6,465
Message 61 of 86

Re: ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds constantly 100%

Just wanted to put my solution online. I manage roughly 30 M58p computers and have had this issue off and on. These systems have ATI Radeon HD 3470 cards installed.

After some troubleshooting and AVOIDING resetting the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery or using the system board jumper I think I may have found a solution for my workstations - Disable the "PCI Parity" setting in the BIOS (Under the "Advanced" tab). This has worked twice now and has saved me a lot of time. You can change this setting remotely via script by following this link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-73098.

Hope this helps someone out there.

handcuff36
Punch Card
Views: 6,135
Message 62 of 86

ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds constantly 100%

Hello, Kent.

I also have an M58 and I was plagued with the noisy fans syndrome. My solution after trying all kinds of procedures was to pull the connector for the chassis fan. I do not think that it is really needed, the PS fan is enough to evacuate the Kelvin from the box. So far the sensors show reasonable temperatures all over, they are around 80 to 82° F.

You be good.  Jean.

eleven45
What's DOS?
Views: 5,996
Message 63 of 86

Guys this problem occurs when you memory sticks is not arranged properly.

Your motherboard would have Dimm1 - 4. Just make sure your memory is installed in that sequence, i.e Dimm 1 first and so on.

Enjoy.

LenovoSupporter
What's DOS?
Views: 5,618
Message 64 of 86

Solved! 

There are two parts to the solution.

1. Place the memory in the SIMM slot closest to the CPU first.

2. Remove the CMOS battery (and unplug the mains) for a few minutes before replacing. Apart from the date and time that needs to be re-entered, all settings seem to be retained.

Got my PC quiet again. Very happy chappy.

Username1024
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,324
Message 65 of 86

I had a similar error but the fan would go back to normal after the OS booted. But then it started crashing because of Audio. So I tried this solution to reset the CMos since the fan was doing something similar when power on started.

The clear CMOS fixed all the problems except that it then started making the fans work 100% all the time.

BEFORE CLEAR CMOS WITH THESE INSTRUCTIONS(M57 6075 CTO) 

1) On power up - fans come on at 100% and stay on. Does not settle down. Must use power switch to make it settle to off.

2) On boot up - fans come on and then go back to normal.

3)_ But then start getting problems with Audio driver causing reset in windows Xp.

4) Also with software shutdown system does not go all way off. Must use power switch.

AFTER CLEAR CMOS WITH THESE INSTRUCTIONS(M57 6075 CTO) 

1) Everything else fixed, but now fans stay on at 100%. 

Please in these instructions tell us do we then remove the power cable again when putting the jumpers and battery back. Also are these instructions good for M57? When I power on after clearing the jumper it starts beeping a lot. Is that meant to happen.

Why is it so hard to get instructions for this that actually have comments and more suggestions?  The fan worked kind of Ok before clear CMOS, but now it is exactly like the problem everybody else had. 

Please make the instructions more precise and describe what to do for M57.

Username1024
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,323
Message 66 of 86

Fixed for M57 6075 as well. See...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-M-and-Edge-Series-ThinkCentre/Desktop-Fan-runs-constantly/m-p/1767323#...

To make it clearer, I also tried.

1) Install AMT. This worked except it would not accept the HECI driver saying that the system was not suitable. 

2) I cannot see how to access the MBEX for Intel Management Extensions. There is no CTRL+P at bootup.

3) I tried installing the newest flash CMOS for the latest version 2RKT64BUS, also 2RKT55AUS but no difference.

4) I tried resetting the CMOS using all techniques described. 

5) I left it off for a day.

6) The thermal cable is plugged in.

7) I unplugged the system fan and put it where it says PWRFAN. Makes no difference. Says FAN FAILURE at boot.

8) I unplugged system fan altogether. CPU FAN still always on 100%.

9) I tried installing the quiet system technology. The download page says it is for 6075 but it will not install on 6075. What is the point of putting downloads for M57 6075 if they do not work? Why is there a download for M57 6075 for AMT and for Quiet System Technology when none of them work. I tried them all including the windows based QST installers and they did not work.

If anybody there actually works at Lenovo, you must have had about 66456459698456795 complaints about this before so please if you can post here a detailed list of possible solutions. There is clearly some kind of glitch with these boards. If the fans worked fine then after CMOS reset do not work fine then it must be a firmware problem. But what? And where?

Username1024
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,322
Message 67 of 86

This is what I have been forced to do. But it is not the solution. The noise is now like back to 1998.
Username1024
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,299
Message 68 of 86

I have solved this problem for the M57 6075 as well. The full cmos reset procedure needs to be modified but it can work. You need to be careful about how to handle the power down stage before putting the CMOS jumper  and battery back in original places.

See this item.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-M-and-Edge-Series-ThinkCentre/Desktop-Fan-runs-constantly/m-p/1767323#...

Jessi
What's DOS?
Views: 5,169
Message 69 of 86

Hello

I made an account just to post in case anyone else was plauged with this problem.

Before this started happening, I updated my bios to the latest 2012 version, not long after I was fiddling around with the Intel Management Engine, and disabled ME state control. That's when my fan starting going crazy. After many attempts to re-enter ME I could select ctrl+p, but it would just blank screen then continue to boot to the OS. Turns out there was something funky about the 2012 bios update that screwed it all up. I flashed my bios back to the 2011 version, and that allowed me back into Intel ME to enable it again, which controls the fans speed/silent operation of the computer.

I hope it helps anyone having the same bios issues I did.

moonliter
What's DOS?
Views: 4,956
Message 70 of 86

This solution works on ThinkCentre M57 6087-AB3. Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors