cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bcn
Punch Card
Views: 1,087
Message 1 of 46

ThinkCentre M58: Install SSD (AHCI, RST, SATA II, disk benchmarks), upgrade memory RAM

Hi,

First of, English isn't my main langage, so I hope I'll be understandable enough.

Sorry for the long post and I already thank those who will read until the end Smiley Tongue.

I'm looking for help regarding my old mother's PC, a Lenovo M58 6303. Here are its caracteristics: https://imgur.com/a/KpR36ea

The PC is quite slow from time to time, with regular "no longer responding" frames when she wants to switch between Excel/Chrome tabs.

I saw that the processor but mostly the RAM are often high %, even with low activity (30% memory used when idle).
The PC being mainly used for office application/web surfing, with some flash games/youtube for the grand children, I was thinking of adding a small SSD (max 120, in addition to the current HDD) with a little more RAM. The idea is basically how to improve it while spending as little as possible.

Regarding the RAM, the PC has 2 DDR3 modules of 2+1go. When I opened it,I saw 4 slots, 2 green, 2 blue. Based on what I found on Internet and Lenovo docs, I can upgrade it up to 8go - even though that much isn't necessary - with max 2go modules at 1066 mhz.
Crucial websites suggests 4gb 1600 Udimm modules. Another website offers me instead PC3-8500 at 1066 mhz. If the PC only supports up to 1066 mhz, I guess there is basically no interest in buying 1600 (unless a future use on another PC ?) instead of 1066 mhz.
However, I read on forums that, contrary to what Lenovo manual says,and based on "AKA Dodson sheet" sales book, the PC can actually supports 4go modules, and a total of 16go. Since Crucial seems to say the same, it could be that the PC manages maybe more than 1066 mhz.

Based on this, my first question is what do you suggest regarding RAM ? Add only 1 1066 mhz module and keep the other 2 in place, which would be 5go, or replace the existing ones and put 1 4go or 2x2go?

My second question is about the SSD choice, what would be your opinion since the PC is in Sata 2 ? It won't be able to use the full capicity of a SSD, so I guess there is no need to find one really performing and I can instead look for a cheaper one.
She could also reuse it in another PC if she changes it in the long term. I didn't look it up too much yet but I found this in the first place; I might be able to find cheaper: https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00255701.html

When I opened the PC, I saw 2 SATA ports, one used by the HDD, the other one by the CD player. There also are a "PCI Express x1 adapter card slot", a "PCI Express x16 graphics adapter card slot",as well as an eSata port. Initially, I was thinking to get ride of the CD player and replace it with the SSD, but based on those other things available, do you think there is a better way to go? I saw that there are PCI E cards supporting Sata 3 but people say that it isn't worth it compared to native Sata 2. Besides, if I remove the CD player to put a SSD, do I need to buy something to hold it in place, since it won't be the same size as the CD player?

Regarding of the current HDD, it's a Western Digital Blue 160go, which doesn't seems bad to me. I did a CrystalDiskMark yesterday and it seemed to have a write deficit compared to what it should do: 77,7 mb/s read, 44,6 mb/s write. I also did an userbenchmark test which said that the HDD was underperforming. I took advantage of having opened the PC to remove some dust and when I did another test afterwards, the figures changed: 81,8 read, 82,6 write, basically x2 in writing, althought I don't know if it's temporary increase or not. I also included in the link a CrystalDiskInfo screenshot to see its health status.

Additionals questions:
- Sometimes, the PC does a weird whistling noise (not sure it's from the HDD). If I hold it from both sides (even gently), the noise stops, but can come back when I release it. Any idea on that?
- Windows takes close to 40go on the HDD, which seems huge. There is also a difference between the used disk space on WinDirStat and Windows right click on HDD (-7go on CystalDiskInfo). Is those things normal?
- Any benefit for this PC to upgrade to Windows 10 (if still free from W7 - which I don't think it is) for the future SSD?

Lastly, I found an old HP Pavillon a1000 unused whose are the features: https://imgur.com/a/DJIIyxC

- We agree on the fact that the Lenovo is better, right?
- Are there some hardware worth being reused into the Lenovo (the CG on the PCI x16 port?)?
- I was thinking of salvage the 2 HDD inside it. CrytalDiskInfo states a warning health statut for the first one with 2 instable sectors and 2 incurable erros. I did a chkdsk but no change. I tried to use Western Data Lifeguard which bugged during the USB/HDD research and Seagate Tools which didn't want to start at all. I was thus thinkinh of a slow formatting and use it as a external HDD (without relying too much on it ofc). Your opinions about it?
The second one seems in good shape, if you can confirm based on the screenshots.

Thanks a lot for your help Smiley Happy

Mod:  edited the Subject line to expand the problem description

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,077
Message 2 of 46

Re: Help for RAM & SSD Lenovo M58

Have you seen this thread?  M58-M58p-upgrade-processor-fan-memory-graphics-GPU-SSD-with-benchmarks

I've used professional grade velcro to hold SSDs in place. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Bcn
Punch Card
Views: 1,073
Message 3 of 46

Yes I read it, but it seems like its a different M58 model (m58p). Thanks for the velcro tip, I'm gonna look it up

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,053
Message 4 of 46

You can see here, that both these specific models, 6303 & 7360, share the same specification:

Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre M58 (type 6258, 6303, 7174, 7354, 7360, 7627, 7638, 8910)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Highlighted
Bcn
Punch Card
Views: 1,033
Message 5 of 46

Oh ok, thanks for the info.

So, regarding the ram, as I said, the physical memory is often used at a high %. Is there a way to check if everything is fine with it?
If I buy one or 2 more Ram modules, does it matter in which slots I put them (1&2 vs 3&4)?
I read that I need to update the Bios, I downloaded the file from the website but it seems that it needs to be done via CD; is it possible to do it with a USB key instead? I tried to look up if UEFI was possible for M58 but I didn't find the answer. I guess I'll know with the latest BIOS.

Do you thing there is any interest in adding - if it works - the spare GC Geforce 7300 LE, when she only uses 1 display? 

For W10, I tried to run the Windows upgrade assistant software and it seems that I'm able to upgrade to W10. Will it be worth iconsidering the PC to do it for the SSD?

I read some comments about power cable/supply and the need of a splitter cable if adding a SSD. I guess it's not needed if I remove the CD player as I can reuse its power cable  for the SSD, right (I'm quite inexperienced regarding all of this)?

Lastly, on the youtube video of the link you sent me, I saw that the guy has the system fan connector (as its called in the lenovo manual) being used. Mine isn't connected to anything. Is it normal?

Thanks again for your help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,022
Message 6 of 46

Use MemTest86 to test memory.   But 3 GB is not much memory, and even running just a web browser, most will be used.  Going to Windows 10 will see even more memory used, you need at least 6 GB to run Win 10 properly (just running Firefox, I often see my Win 10 laptop with 8 GB using about 4GB.)  

Bcn
Punch Card
Views: 1,010
Message 7 of 46

I used MemTest86, no erros. I also upgraded the Bios, I had to burn the iso on a CD on another PC first as it seems it's not possible on the Lenovo. No UEFI anywhere though, so the SSD won't be able to have it.

Yes I understand that 5gb won't be a lot. I guess we'll try with 5 and if it feels not enough add some more.

Bcn
Punch Card
Views: 922
Message 8 of 46

Alright, so I got my hand on 2 modules of the following RAM at a cheap price:

https://www.amazon.fr/DIMM-Micron-MT8JTF51264AZ-1G6E1-PC3-12800U-1600MHz/dp/B01JPA32VY

Sadly, if I only put 1 or both of them and remove the current ones, the PC is really loud when booting (mostly fan I think) and there is no screen display.

If I put 1 or both of them with the current ones, the PC will boot but l have either 4 bips at the start of the PC and a 164 memory size error at the start (can still boot) or no error but the ram is not recognized.

My BIOS has the last update and should be able to handle 4gb modules (Crucial proposes the following ref when I do the checking process on their website: https://www.amazon.fr/Crucial-CT51264BD160B-PC3L-12800-240-Pin-M%C3%A9moire/dp/B005LDLUW8?th=1

Those modules are 1RX8 but it shouldn't be an issue since one of the current one is 1RX8 and the other one 2RX8 and they are both working.

I tried to clear CMOS but it didn't do anything.

Is there a way to determine if it's the new modules who are just not working or if they are incompatible?

Thanks for your help.

Richard150
Fanfold Paper
Views: 886
Message 9 of 46

Ben ... regading memory in these Lenovo PC's.

First the beeps and high fan speed mean that the board sees a hardware problem.  It could be that memory is not compatible .. but it could also be;

1. Memory modules are not inserted firmly

2. Memory moduels have not been inserted in pairs.  ie 2 or 4

3. Memeory modules are not of same type and size in each of either the blue or green slots.  ie If you have two types of memory then put the same in Blue slots and same in green slots.

4. PCI card is inerted .. if so remove this to test

5. Sometimes you need to turn on multip[le times

If you cannot get it to work then ... as per my post in the other thread .. memory compatability may be the issue.  The safest approach is to use original Lenovo memory as I outlined in my post as I have been able to use second hand Lenovo 4 x 4GB successfully.  If you don't use Lenovo memory then you need to find types of memory that have been verified as working by the memory manufacturer or other knowlegable resource..  The easist way, is to go to the websites of memory manufaturers and see what they have for this model and buy form them or buy those model no's 2nd hand.  When I was looking for 4Gb modules .. there were only a few and they seemed to be no longer available .. so that's why I went with 2nd hand Lenovo modules.  See my post for details on the offical Lenovo memory models for these computers.

On other isues;

1. Definitely upgrade to Windows 10 .. you can do for free if you have windowes 7 licence key.  Just search the net.  Also do this on the new SSD .. and keep old HDD as extra capacity.

2. Upgrade to at least 8GB.

3. Upgrade CPU if you can .. see my post ... I bought the top of the line 3.33 GHz dual core aviable for this machine for US$10.

4. Make sure you thoroughly clean out dust from fans and powersupply.  I dissassembled both top dop this properly.

I have two of these PC's connected via the 1GBPS ethernet port ... one as the main household computer and the other as my personal computer.and they worked perfectly for nearly 2 years.

regards

Bcn
Punch Card
Views: 880
Message 10 of 46

Hi again Richard, and thanks for the detailed answer.

Regarding the RAM, the high speed fan and the lack of display only happens if I remove the existing RAM and put 1 or both new 4gb modules, otherwise the PC boots correctly (except the memory error at the start) but without the new modules recognized.

I did points 1, 2 and 5. The current modules are different but do work together (here they are):

- 1gb: https://www.amazon.com/Micron-MT9JSF12872AZ-1G4F1-DDR3-1333-PC3-10600-Unbuffered/dp/B008KO6LVA

-2gb: https://www.amazon.com/M378B5673FH0-CF8-Samsung-1066mhz-Pc3-8500-Non-Ecc/dp/B00DUGDEYU

As you can below, the new modules are the same, Micron branded and have a Lenovo sticker.

I saw the compatible ones on Crucial but they are 30€ each when these one were 10€ each. She doesn't want to spend too much so I thought I would look for second hand modules like you said. I'll see what I'll do regarding these.

20190121_121924[1].jpg

I'll take a look at the PCI card.

On other issues, I read that the chipster is not supported by W10 and that some people had issues with it. So i guess I'll upgrade anyways and if there are problems I'll just go back to W7.

The PC is only used for web browsing, some streaming, Youtube/flash games for grandchildren so I think that the current GPU will be enough for that usage. But I guess an upgrade is still a possibility later one like you did.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors