Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 1,704
Message 1 of 7

ThinkCentre M58p and a PCI-E video card issue

Hello,

I had an old [but reliable] ThinkCentre M58p lying around and I recently thought of upgrading it [for a media center with a some gaming capabilties] from, some more, aging [but working] parts I have.

So:
1. I've replaced the Intel dual E8400 3Ghz with a quad Q9650 3Ghz [I have a 95W HSF] - Works perfectly
2. Replaced the stock PSU with a 620Watts, SeaSonic - Works flawlessly
3. Installed windows 10 and all the devices
4. Finally, installed a EVGA GTX 770 2Gb into the PCI-E slot - This is the weird issue part

Now, for the PCI-E card to get recognized during the boot, I had to switch the main output from IGD [Integrated Graphics Device] to PEG [PCI Express Graphics], and it works! The system boots up from the PCI-E slot, and with the drivers installed, everything works and looks great. Easy, or so it seems...

As soon as I restart the PC there's no signal, from the PCI-E slot anymore, and in order to boot again from the PCI-E card, I have to:

- pull the card out

- boot the machine from the onboard VGA [no need to change the BIOS settings though]

- shut down

- plug the PCI-E card back in

- turn it on

Then it works again. Games run great, the PC is cool and quiet. Until I power it off... Each time, I have to repeat the process in order to get a signal from the PCI-E slot...

Has anyone happened to come across this kind of issue and knows the cause for this?

BTW, I've tried a different card [GTX 570] and the results were the same. Also, stand by/sleep results the same as a shut down.

Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 1,628
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkCentre M58p and a PCI-E video card issue

Anyone? not even a Lenovo's tech support??

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,621
Message 3 of 7

Other than verify that you're at the latest BIOS version, all I can suggest is that you search here for what cards were successfully used in a M58/p, and use one of those. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 1,586
Message 4 of 7

The BIOS version is the lastest, I think [as there are few differet versions, for different regions, from what I managed to understand] and when looking for compatible cards I end up in threads more than 5 years back... which is, obviouly, not relevant. I was hoping to make this a media center and a reasonable 1080p gaming PC [for modarn games]. So HD5770 [which is one of the higher end cards, I've found, which should work] just not gonna cut it.

And again, it's not that the computer does not recognize the card at all or giving me bad performance. It works amazing when it does work [at the first boot]. When it does recognize it I get a clean boot, stright signal to the monitor, windows loads fast [without any issues] and the card performs flawlessly [above expectations].

Lenovo, I would expect you [as in you're stuff] to make a better effort to help out, as this is your forum and your product and no amount of google "archive" searchings could offer the information you have on your own product. Please, make a better effort. Please give me a solid/based answer, which you must have.

Thank you

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,574
Message 5 of 7

There is one version of the BIOS, used worldwide.  

Have you considered using a Gtx 750 Ti?   It works well for a media center, and is decent for gaming. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 1,520
Message 6 of 7

The BIOS version I currently have is - 5CKT77AUS
This is the latest, right?

I've bought a 75W gtx 1050 Ti which requires no additional power, but it doesn't work at all! not even on first boot [like the gtx 770 & the 570]...

For some reason, trying to make a decent PC out of this aging [yet not badly spec'ed] machine is a much bigger problem than I originally had thought. Very disappointing, as it's not a bad machine.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,510
Message 7 of 7

@Peleg wrote:
The BIOS version I currently have is - 5CKT77AUS
This is the latest, right?

Yes, that is the latest BIOS for a M58/M58p.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors