06-21-2018 02:04 PM
OK, so i have a very strange issue. A customer has 16 M715q units (AMD A12's with Realtek NIC card & 128GB SSD) configured in a retail environment.
The customer had complained that occasionally things would be slow on various machines, but i was unable to predicably reproduce the issue with their POS software. Today, I noticed during some work that my local RDP connection to one of our local servers was showing a "poor" connection and windows were dragging quite slowly. This was quite strange as the systems are all connected 1Gbps to a Cisco switch and then 10Gbps via fibre backbone to our Cisco switch in the server rack which is then 10Gbps copper directly to the servers.
I started to do some testing of file copys/transfers to our servers and noticed my sustained speed was anywhere between 8 - 35 MB/s (megabytes per second) which i considered inadequate considering our backbone speed. I tried updating drivers, OS, firmware and was unable to get any better. I thought there may have been a wiring or a switch issue, so i tested a different M710 unit (i5 with Intel NIC Card & 256 GB SSD this time) on a different network port/switch and was able to get 90 - 120 MB (megabytes) per second transfer speed. I then moved it and saw 90 - 120 MB to our servers on the exact same network port as the first system. At first i thought something was wrong as it went too fast, but different files continued with the same excellent results and then equally poor results when we put the original system back in. I used a few different 20GB backup zip files as a test.
Both of the original boxes have the latest Lenovo firmware (from System Update), came with windows 10 installed from the factory, have had the latest version of Windows 10 (1803) and all pertinent Windows updates applied. We even tried updating the network card driver directly from Realtek's site (rather than Lenovo's). We attempted various "advanced network settings" with no drastic changes.
We have tried 5 of the M715q systems all with the same 8 - 35MB/s results (Some have 1709 and others have 1803), none have had any additional settings tweaked except Windows updates and Lenovo Firmware updates. We also tried 3 of the i5 units with equally good (90 - 120 MB/s) results.
We have not made any tweaks or adjustments on the servers (which are running 2016)
Has anyone else noticed similar issues?
Does anyone have any further suggestions or similar experiences?
11-03-2018 11:52 PM
Holy sh! Finally I found something online having the same issue. At first I was wondering if power mgt was the issue. I have Windows set to alread on. After reading your post I'll try using a USB 3.0 gigabit adapter. If that is the issue kinda sucks I can't return this model for an i7.
Mine came with 4GB and HDD which I replaced with micron ballistix 8gb and a BPX M2.SSD.
11-19-2018 12:03 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think I can rule out the physical network. We only recently moved into this house. I ran all the CAT6 myself. Made sure none were near any high voltage wires. I tested all runs with a fluke tester. I have a Dell micro pc with an intel cpu at my desk as well. No issues with that machine.
I will double check the bios is up to date and NIC drivers.
In case I forgot to mention this part. I'm now wondering if its a power mgt issue. While the pc sometimes is slow browsing the internet after several attempts all of a sudden everything will work just fine. Very baffling. I've reinstalled Windows 10 even.
11-19-2018 12:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but we're well past those troubleshooting tips for our install. Drivers are all up-to-date, and yes, all the lights are on on the NICs.
We haven't yet tried a USB NIC to see if that solves the speed issue. We did notice something strange (and are trying to see how often we can reproduce the issue as time permits). We tried one of the units *IN* our server room (ahead of the 10GB fibre) and the speed on it seemed very good (we tried multiple file transfers and were getting 110MB/s to the servers. Now at that time, we should have immediately taken it to the other side of the facility to see if the speed was slow after the fibre but other things required our attention at that time. We hope to do that in a week or two to see whether we can reproduce the higher speed at the other end with the machine we have hooked up in the server room. Will keep you posted (on that and on the USB NIC card results)
11-19-2018 12:32 PM
Interesting issue.I found my belkin usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter. Gonna give it a try this week, when time permits.
I need to try and replicate it. I have a sneaking suspicion that LAN traffic was fine, like to/from my Drobo 5N. While internet was not working. How that is possible beats me but its been too long I can't remember 100%. In that time I did happen to replace my SSD with an M2 NVME. So I reinstalled Windows and havent had time.