Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whocares905
Fanfold Paper
Views: 251
Message 1 of 8

ThinkCentre M71e: Windows will not shutdown, would BIOS update help? USB drive

Hello... How does one update the Bios? I just got this PC and it has a clean installation of windows 7 pro. Problem I'm having is when I click shut down under windows it will not turn off. My monitor will turn off but not the PC unit. I notice the bios date is like 2011 and I notice there a few thing under bios but it shows only one available. how does one update it and I don't have the cd rom drive, thanks . 

Mod:  edited the Subject line to expand the problem description

whocares905
Fanfold Paper
Views: 251
Message 2 of 8

Shutdown issues

This PC unit Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e SFF will not shut down, the only way will it power off is I have to hold down the power button other than that it will not shut down. It's a clean installation of windows 7 pro, there nothing been added only had done is the windows updates, that is it. Do you think a bios update will help? Model 3134B8U ... Bios Revision Level 9QKT34AUS ... BIOS date 12/16/2011

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 216
Message 3 of 8

Re: Shutdown issues

You're not much out-of-date, the latest BIOS is Aug 2012.  I suspect this is more likely a Windows 7 issue, but eliminating the BIOS as issue would be a part of the process.

First step in troubleshooting your problem (not to update BIOS):  Enter BIOS setup (repeatedly hit F1 on Restart), select load default settings, save and exit.

Format a USB drive with Rufus and freeDOS, leave all else at default.  Download and extract the "USB Drive UEFI BIOS Flash Package" zip file from the Lenovo support page for your system.  Copy ALL those files to the USB drive.  Do a restart to boot from the USB.  Answer No to the questions regarding updating the model and serial number.  Do not interrupt the process or remove USB drive until it says your BIOS is at the same or older version, there will be 2-3? reboots. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
whocares905
Fanfold Paper
Views: 200
Message 4 of 8

Hi... Thanks for responding. This is what I have done, this PC came with both keys for 7 and 10 OEM Sticker. So I installed windows 10 thinking it's a better go but even with Windows 10 the unit wouldn't shutdown / turn off. Now as for the Bios thing this PC doesn't have any ( Drivers) for Windows 10 and it seems to be running okay with Windows 10 generic drivers, though the issues with the shutdown is still the same. Do you think the Bios thing would be okay if I were to use the ones for Windows 7 . Just use the USB Drive UEFI BIOS Flash Package and do as to what you suggested? thanks

Bios.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 191
Message 5 of 8

Windows not shutting down is a known issue with M71e and Windows 10.  Do not run the Windows-based BIOS update method with Windows 10. 

The CD and USB drive methods are stand-alone installers running on DOS, and bypass the Windows that's installed on the system, and therefore more reliable. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
whocares905
Fanfold Paper
Views: 188
Message 6 of 8

Hi... If I understand you correctly you are saying to use the first one on my pic list? Flash UEFI BIOS update ( CD ISO image version ) 

The other one wouldn't work or do anything, Yes? Are the steps for flashing the same as above? Thanks

whocares905
Fanfold Paper
Views: 178
Message 7 of 8

Well, it doesn't matter which method I try both didn't fix the problem and I was able to perform such. I still can't shut off the unit. This is obviously a Lenovo ( Hardware ) issue, not a Windows problem since both OS have this problem and both had a clean install. Lenovo, there is no excuse for you people not to have corrected this problem by now and I'm guessing the Lenovo people don't have anything to do with this forum site, correct, it's all volunteers, yes?

My concern now by me having to push the power button to turn the unit it off will that clause issues as well down the road? Thanks 

whocares905
Fanfold Paper
Views: 144
Message 8 of 8

@ Mod BiggAl thanks anyway for trying to help it was appreciated. I thought HP and Dell were bad but boy this doesn't do justice for Lenovo. I own many computers and my main one is custom built by me but I do like to buy those refurb ones here and there and I don't think I will recommend Lenovo to people I know when they ask me who they should buy from. Lenovo this is inexcusable for you people not to care whether the unit is old or new PERIOD 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors