Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nicsh
Paper Tape
Views: 674
Message 1 of 9

ThinkCentre M81 & M82: Can I upgrade my processor CPU? i3-2120

I have a ThinkCentre M81. I want to upgrade my CPU from an i3-2120 to an i5-3470/3570/3570k. I have checked the motherboard of this system, and it seems like it's a Lenovo Mahobay. I can't find any more information about it other than that it has an Intel H61 chipset. My BIOS version is Lenovo 9SKT58AUS and the date is 12.24.2012.

My specs:

Intel Core i3-2120

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

8GB of 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram

Windows 10 Professional

Mod:  edoted the Subject line to add the correct system type

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 634
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can I upgrade my CPU on my ThinkCentre M81?

@nicsh wrote:

I have a ThinkCentre M81. I want to upgrade my CPU from an i3-2120 to an i5-3470/3570/3570k.

Ivy Bridge processors are supported on the next generation, M82 systems, not yours.  Only the processors listed in your systems specs are known to work (no K processors):  Lenovo - Detailed specifications, ThinkCentre M81

I suggest the i5-2500 or i7-2600 as they are plentiful, and have the highest clock speed. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
nicsh
Paper Tape
Views: 615
Message 3 of 9

Do I have to update my BIOS?

I have a ThinkCentre M81. My motherboard is a Lenovo Mahobay and the BIOS version is Lenovo 9SKT58AUS and the date is 12.24.2012. I want to upgrade my processor from an i3-2120 to an i5-2400. Do I have to update my BIOS if I want to upgrade my CPU?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 610
Message 4 of 9

Re: Do I have to update my BIOS?

@nicsh wrote:

I want to upgrade my processor from an i3-2120 to an i5-2400. Do I have to update my BIOS if I want to upgrade my CPU?

No. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 606
Message 5 of 9

Wait.  Exactly where are you seeing that your system is a M81?  The BIOS file name is not matching what you say the system is.  

Upload a Snip of the main page of a 'sys info'.  And a photo, low-res to fit the upload here, of the main page of the BIOS setup, and of any sticker on the case, plus type it here, not the serial number.  Ty.

nicsh
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 6 of 9

Sieppaa.PNGSorry for the Finnish text. No stickers anywhere except a random hard drive warranty sticker or something like that. I know that it's a M81 because it looks exactly like it and the place where I bought it said that it's a M81. No picture of BIOS because I don't know how to get there

Edit: That product model number seems to match the M82. That's weird Smiley Indifferent

SECOND EDIT: I checked my model with the Lenovo Service Bridge. It seems to be a ThinkCentre M82. So I can put an i5-3570 inside this PC!! Yey!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 575
Message 7 of 9

That model number, plus the BIOS file name, suggests strongly that it's a M82.  It's complicated by the fact that both system types used that same  i3 processor.  Good news for you, as that may make an Ivy Bridge upgrade possible. 

We need to definitively identify the Chipset, M82 uses Q75, while M81 uses Q65.  Unfortunately, there's no easy way to show the Chipset model.  In this case, one way is to see if your motherboard has USB 3.0 ports on the back (M81 is all USB 2.0.)  Look carefully with a flash light for the blue 3.0 designator inside some USB ports at the back. 

Edit: also, memory speed is 1600 vs. 1333 of the M81. 

nicsh
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 8 of 9

Ivy Bridge, I'm coming..

Btw, can I put the K version of the i5-3570 here?

IMG_20190604_193603.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 546
Message 9 of 9

Re: Can I upgrade my CPU on my ThinkCentre M81?

Same answer as above - same for all ThinkCentres: 

Only the processors listed in your systems specs are known to work (no K processors)

Also, use the 'X' method to apply new thermal paste:  Puget Systems - Thermal Paste Application Techniques

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors