Paper Tape
Views: 2,076
Message 1 of 17

ThinkCentre M82 SFF: Does GTX 1050 fit? SOLVED - installed GT 1030

M82 Desktop (thinkcentre)

System Model: 2929C46

Bios Version: 9SKT58AUS

Windows 10 pro 64 bit

Can this Zotac gtx 1050 mini ( https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Graphics-ZT-P10500A-10L/dp/B01M4MIU94/ref=sr_1_2?... ) fit in my small form factor lenovo think centre? If not, can someone tell me a similar alternative? 

Thanks!!

Mod:  edited Subject line with system type and solution

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,010
Message 2 of 17

Re: Does a low profile mini gtx 1050 fit in my machine?

Looks like NOT. Too tall, and takes too much power for the M82 SFF PSU.

SFF cases need low-profile form cards, which are less tall and have shorter brackets.  Typically they can only hold two full-size video connectors in single-slot wide form, or three full-size video connectors in double-slot wide form.  Sometimes they may have three connectors in single-slot width if they utilize "micro-format" connectors (e.g. miniDP and micro-HDMI) instead of full-size connectors, and sometimes they arrange the three video connectors to use both slots of the dual-wide form.

The "mini" designation on this Zotac card seems to be relevant to its short length, i.e. 5.7", due to the single-fan design.  But its height is with a full-size bracket containing three video connectors lined up on the left-half of the dual-slot bracket.  Looks similar to the EVGA GTX 1050ti SC but the cheaper Zotac card only has 2GB DDR5 memory whereas the somewhat more expensive EVGA version has 4GB DDR5.  Otherwise these two single-fan cards are essentially identical, meaning they are both short in length but full-size bracket in height.  They will only fit in a tower case, not an SFF case.

In contrast the "low profile" version of the Zotac card (which is what you MUST use if you could use any version of the GTX 1050ti) is dual-fan design and thus longer (it says 6.3", which might still physcially work in your SFF case but I'd be cautious about being too optimistic and be sure you can return if it's actually too long).  Height looks good, conforming to low-profile bracket requirement.  They've relocated the DVI connector to over on the second slot side of the dual-slot bracket, so you still have three full size video connectors.

But on top of the physical height/length considerations, the PSREF for the M82 SFF says the PCIe x16 slot is limited to 45W of power.  The GTX 1050ti requires 75W, so this is another reason considering this card is simply unacceptable for the M82 SFF and its stock PSU.

Best alternative choice: as this other thread strongly recommends, the lesser performing less expensive 64-bit 2GB DDR5 GT 1030 low-profile card is low-power (30W TDP) and should fit and be usable in the M82 SFF.

Just remember it is PCIe x4 rather than x16, and only has two video connectors (DVI and HDMI) rather than three. So it's definitely not the GTX 1050ti SC in performance, and don't expect it to be.  But it is probably the best value and performance option you have given that you've got an SFF case and small PSU which is your situation to contend with.

zechatron
Paper Tape
Views: 1,972
Message 3 of 17

Thanks!! If I choose the low profile Gtx 1050ti you talked about, could I upgrade the PSU so it can handle it? Would that work?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,949
Message 4 of 17

Best alternative choice: as this other thread strongly recommends, the lesser performing less expensive 64-bit 2GB DDR5 GT 1030 low-profile card is low-power (30W TDP) and should fit and be usable in the M82 SFF.

Just remember it is PCIe x4 rather than x16

Can you give us a link to the GT 1030 being PCIe x4 info?  Ty. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,946
Message 5 of 17

@BiggAl wrote:

Just remember it is PCIe x4 rather than x16

Can you give us a link to the GT 1030 being PCIe x4 info?  Ty. 

I was looking at the specs shown on this Amazon listing for the Gigabyte low-profile GT 1030 card.

GT1030-specs.jpg

It was also shown as PCIe 3.0 x4 on the Newegg specs page.

GT1030-specs2.jpg

Also shown as PCIe 3.0 x4 by this Techpowerup review.

GT1030-specs3.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,931
Message 6 of 17

Thanks, I was not aware of that.  Still the 4 PCIe lanes provides sufficient bandwidth, it's not like the 1050 Ti is 4x as fast, it's about double the performance.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
zechatron
Paper Tape
Views: 1,884
Message 7 of 17

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,875
Message 8 of 17

Probably for your generation system, but you would need to measure slot length to be sure it's short enough.

The only card known to be short enough for all gen SFF systems back to M90p, including the M710s and M910s, is this Gigabyte:   GT 1030 Low Profile 2G, GV-N1030D5-2GL

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,871
Message 9 of 17

Certainly should physically work in the M82 SFF, but I don't know for absolute sure.

Unfortunately the PSREF for the old M82 SFF machine (2929) does not show the maximum length card you can install, as the PSREF now shows for newer machines.  But the physical front-to-rear dimension of its case is 15.2"(D) as contrasted with smaller numbers for newer machines.  That's a good size.

This "depth" number is the dimension which implies the maximum length of an expansion card you can install, so being a bit larger is a "good thing" since this PNY low-profile GT 1030 is 6.6" long.  Just for comparison, the EVGA full-size GTX 1050ti SC (which is not suitable for your SFF situation) is 5.7", and the alternative (but somewhat more expensive) Gigabyte low-profile GT 1030 is 5.9", while your PNY low-profile card is the longest at 6.6".

Nevertheless, the somewhat "deeper" SFF case for the M82 may mean there's no problem using this 6.6" low-profile PNY card. Might very well be fine.  The only factor is the swing-up/down drive bay assembly inside the case, which in its "down and locked" position may come in contact with the very end of a too-long card, which would probably be a problem.

I just don't know for sure, so you might want to be sure that you can return your purchase to Best Buy if the card doesn't fit but is just a bit too long.

The other issue is that the Best Buy listing doesn't show "low-profile bracket included", even though it would be unheard of if the standard retail box for a low-profile card wouldn't contain both a full-size bracket (as shown in the picture) as well as a low-profile bracket (which you MUST have in order to use the card in a SFF case).  I just don't know.

However this other Newegg listing (though not available for purchase, and much more expensive anyway)for the same retail PNY GeForce GT 1030 2GB (VCGGT10302PB) card DOES show that the low-profile bracket IS included.  So I'll guess the Best Buy offering is the very same, even though it's not stated.  Again, just be sure you can return this to Best Buy if the low-profile bracket is not provided.

You might call Best Buy to get the answers to your questions.  Is this BRAND NEW-IN-BOX (which would almost certainly have the low-profile bracket included) or open-stock or "used" (in which case they might be selling the card-only, minus the low-profile bracket or software CD, etc.), as the price is quite low?  And if they can look on the side of the box to see "what is included" they might be able to confirm that the low-profile bracket IS included, which is what you absolutely must have to complete the installation of this card in your M82 SFF.

Sorry... best advice I can offer.

zechatron
Paper Tape
Views: 1,866
Message 10 of 17

Well I read some questions and there is a 3" low profile bracket. It also said that it requires a 300 watt power supply :/

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/pny-nvidia-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-x4-graph...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors