08-16-2013

AU

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 4

ThinkCentre M82 not booting after the latest Microsoft update

2018-03-25, 3:16 AM

I have got a ThinkCentre M82 desktop which I maintain very well. I am generally very careful about what application I am inatalling and always up to date with paches and upgrades. I also have an active antivirus running on the machine. The machine was working perfectly fine till a few days ago.

Last week I saw an alert saying that a new Microsoft upgrade is ready to be installed. So I went ahead and selected "Install and restart" the machine. While the updgrade is in process, my young daughter tried to switch on the machine since she needed to do some homework online, without realizing that the upgrade is going on.

After that the desktop is not booting at all. There is no welcome message. The monitor is shutting down since there is no signal. I tried to force restart a few times but no success. When I power up, the machine starts automatically not having to press the switch on button. The green light denoting the power and disk operation is always on.

I am not sure how to recover from this situation. Ideally, I will like to recover with my data intact. Or worst case, at least a clean re-install. But unfortunately I cannot even get into the BIOS screen to reinstall the OS. I have the disk of Windows 8 Pro that came with the machine and CDs for drivers.

What should I do now? Where should I start?         

Options

3792 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7832 Signins

116668 Page Views

• Views: 116668
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkCentre M82 not booting after the latest Microsoft update

2018-03-25, 15:25 PM

Windows Update doesn't write to BIOS flash memory, so that should be intact.  Do you not get the Lenovo logo when first power-on? 

If not, try completely draining the power supply, discon the a/c from the wall, press and hold the power button for 20 sec half a dozen times (and if you have the time leave disconnected over night.)   And this may help with the Windows repair:  Microsoft community - Shut down my computer during a windows update and now it won't start

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

3 Posts

08-16-2013

AU

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-03-30, 6:15 AM

I left the machine switched off (disconnected from power) for the past few days. After that, as you suggested I kept the on button pressed for 20+ seconds when the power cable was disconnected. I repeated that for 8-10 times. Then I connected the desktop to the power but the issue is still there. As soon as I put the power on the computer starts automatically without having to power it on.

I cannot use the recommendations suggested from the url you have pasted. I can't get a "Lenovo" screen so that I can start in safe mode or got into the BIOS. 

Options

3792 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7832 Signins

116668 Page Views

• Views: 116668
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-03-30, 13:26 PM

I suggest you burn a CD with the latest M82 BIOS - CD ISO image (this one also contains the fix for Specture), and follow the process for how to recover from a BIOS update failure that is written in the HMM.  Do the additional step of a CMOS reset when the jumper is first moved. 

Insert the CD, power the system down, disconnect a/c cord, open the system, remove the CMOS coin battery, move jumper, push and hold power button several times (you can leave overnight at this stage to further drain the power supply.) 

Install CMOS battery, wait 5 minutes, connect a/c power and power up, hopefully it will read from the CD, and display the BIOS update screen, answer no to the change serial and model number questions, wait for update to fully complete. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save