Options

1 Posts

04-26-2019

NZ

1 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: Has anyone had any success getting new AMD cards to work with the ThinkCentre M83/M93p generatio

2019-04-26, 2:56 AM

Do you think the RX 460 4GB will work?

Options

5 Posts

04-13-2019

US

6 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 12 of 13

Re: Has anyone had any success getting new AMD cards to work with the ThinkCentre M83/M93p generatio

2019-05-02, 1:19 AM

Sero,

I just put a Saphire RX 470 8GB in my M83 tower.

Please be advised that it doesn’t really fit. To get it to work you need to remove the second lower hard drive caddy and the front IO box. The GPU will cover a lot of ports on the bottom of the motherboard including the strange Lenovo proprietary front IO box plug.

I would recommend trying to install a compact GPU in this system and not a full length one. 

If you do decide to put a full size card in this machine expect it to be a very very tight fit. 

Options

10 Posts

03-30-2018

DE

11 Signins

197 Page Views

• Views: 197
  • Message 13 of 13

2019-07-23, 14:05 PM

Thanks for the update, Zac!

I actually recently went out and upgraded my M83 system, and your post was very instructive in finding the right upgrade path. The GPU I ended up going with is Sapphire's RX 570 ITX Pulse. It's just about short enough to comfortably fit in the slot without impeding any of the (terribly placed) connectors towards the bottom right of the board.

As for performance and heat management: Because this is an ITX card, and air circulation in the M83 case isn't perfect, the GPU does tend to get quite a bit hotter than my earlier RX 460 (the RX 460 would reach 60-70°C, the RX 570 initially reached the upper 70s, then used to throttle to stay around 80°C). However, the front fan and additional ventilation slots I added definitely help.

Fortunately enough Sapphire cards usually contain higher-binned GPU chips, and so I was able to downvolt the card by almost 200 mV from its 1150 mV base voltage at max speed to ≈960 mV. This has had a drastic impact on temps and performance, and the card now comfortably sits around 65-75°C in most games, and reaches ≈78°C at max in Witcher 3 (which for some reason stresses the GPU much more than any other title I know, even more than modern ones). With these tweaks, the GPU now consistently manages to reach its boost clock of 1245 MHz, and – depending on the title – even has a little room to spare for slight overclocks. With the right fan settings I was able to reach a stable 1300 MHz overclock  (although at much higher noise levels). Better airflow should allow for even higher overclocks, and there are videos on YouTube where people managed to get the card as high as 1400 MHz.

Personally, I'm more than happy enough with the performance I get at the default clocks (and undervolting applied). The card handles 1080p gaming like a champ, allowing me to play most titles on high-ultra at very reasonable framerates (see YouTube for more benchmarks on the card).

On a related note: I also ended up upgrading my CPU from the original i5 to the i7 4790, which is the maximum config supported by this board. This has definitely helped a lot with some of the more CPU-demanding titles like Assassin's Creed, etc.

All of this of course pre-supposes that you upgrade the PSU as well, but if you grab the components from ebay or another second-hand marketplace, you can get a very capable gaming machine for little money.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete