Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LiseH
Paper Tape
Views: 143
Message 1 of 3

ThinkCentre M90p CD/DVD-RW can't see disks

I have a ThinkCentre M90p on Windows10 Home that no longer sees cd's or dvd's in the drive. I've been searching for fixes for a couple days now, and none of those worked. The Device Mgr sees the drive, drivers are up to date. I've uninstalled the drive (through Device Mgr) and rebooted, it reinstalled but still does not detect a DVD in the tray. I've tried a Driver collection program (1-click find and install) but it didn't find any problems with that particular driver, I've tried a Registry fixing program but it didn't find any problems to fix there. I know it worked when I bought it because I looked at a couple of old picture cds then(July/17), but haven't needed it again until yesterday. I did find a post about cleaning the lens, but I have no clue about taking the drive apart to get in there to do that so I thought I'd ask here if there were any other ideas first.

SeniorGuru
Views: 116
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkCentre M90p CD/DVD-RW can't see disks

Worst case, replace the drive?  They're not expensive.

Or, forget about it and buy a new external enclosure optical drive connected through USB cable?  Again, they're not expensive.

I normally like to "fix" what's broken, but this just might an old drive that's finally failing.  Given the minor cost of replacing it (either internally or externally) I wouldn't expend too much more energy or effort trying to find a software/driver explanation and solution if nothing you try solves the problem.  Sometimes hardware just gives out and needs to be replaced.

Here's an article suggesting how to try and diagnose, but it sounds like you've already done most of it.They too conclude that worst case it's simply time for drive replacement.

LiseH
Paper Tape
Views: 110
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkCentre M90p CD/DVD-RW can't see disks

Thanks for your reply. I hesitate to put a new drive in because, I mean, this one has read only 2 disks since I've owned it. I find any investment to be big for that kind of service? I did search the links you provided, downloaded CD  Check, it came back with Drive not Ready. I'm guessing the laser is not moving at all so I guess a cleaning is in order after all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors