04-09-2018

CA

13 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 1 of 8

ThinkCentre M910t Tower - Enable onboard graphics in addition to graphics card

2018-04-09, 16:21 PM

Is it possible to enable the onboard graphics card on these computers in addition to using the graphics card that was added?

I'm setting up these computers with multiple monitors and I would like to have one monitor using the displayport on the graphics card that was added, and the other connecting to the onboard graphics card through VGA.

Please let me know it:

A. This is possible.

B. The steps to enable both.

Thank you.

Options

3797 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7836 Signins

116743 Page Views

• Views: 116743
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkCentre M910t Tower - Enable onboard graphics in addition to graphics card

2018-04-09, 16:57 PM

It was possible with previous generations of systems using this procedure:  Enabling multiple monitor support: ThinkCentre Edge 71 - M900.   It could be that the document hasn't been updated, if you could give it a try, and let us know if it works, or post with screen shots of what is different.  Ty. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

4 Posts

04-09-2018

CA

13 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

Re: ThinkCentre M910t Tower - Enable onboard graphics in addition to graphics card

2018-04-12, 17:00 PM

I followed the instructions you provided. There didn't appear to be any differences between my machine and the images posted. However it didn't work. The onboard graphics card is still not working when I try to connect a monitor to it.

EDIT: For now, I'll just have my company order more adapters. But if anyone else has a solution to try, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10691 Signins

57186 Page Views

• Views: 57186
  • Message 4 of 8

2018-04-13, 5:05 AM

I don't understand what you mean by "order more adapters"?  You mean to put more than one graphics card in the same M910t?  Or what?

Anyway I really would like to pursue this subject, to find out why you're not successful.  If Lenovo says it is possible to do this with the M910t machine, then why doesn't it work?  Have you called Lenovo support to enlist their technical assistance?

Are you confirming that the BIOS of the M910t actually does have the options for both "Select active video -> IGD" and "Multi-monitor support -> enabled"?  And you did that, and yet you still only have output from the discrete graphics card?

When you go into Device Manager -> Display adapter, do you show both the Intel HD Graphics GPU as well as the nVidia GPU?  If so, when you right-click on each of these devices do you have current drivers installed for both?

Honestly, this doesn't bother me, because the M910t I built for a friend specifies "discrete graphics" to make use of the 4GB DDR5 EVGA GTX 1050ti SC card (with all-digital DVI, DP and HDMI connectors on it) I installed in that machine, in support of only one single 30" Dell UP3017 monitor (connected through DP).  I did not buy the Lenovo-offered graphics upgrade, but opted to install a retail GTX 1050ti card myself.

There was no desire or need to support multiple monitors on this M910t machine.  But had there been such a need then I would absolutely have simply used the additional available digital connectors on the 1050ti card itself rather than contemplating using the onboard graphics ports.  This assumes, of course, that any additional monitors I would have wanted to use would be 100% guaranteed to at least have a DVI connector on it if not also DP, perhaps in addition to VGA. But given a digital option I would never use VGA.

Yes, there is no VGA analog connection on the GTX 1050ti.  But given the 4GB DDR5 memory and speed of the card, I would for sure want to use it for a multiple monitor setup rather than even thinking about using the built-in Intel HD graphics.  I would first consider spending maybe $150 on a new "digital" monitor (that did have DVI or DP or HDMI connectors) so that I could actually benefit from my discrete graphics card capabilities and speed, rather than wanting to use a second monitor that was so old that it only has a VGA connector option on it.

Anyway, ...

Options

4 Posts

04-09-2018

CA

13 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-04-13, 13:12 PM

wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by "order more adapters"?  You mean to put more than one graphics card in the same M910t?  Or what?

By that I mean DVI or VGA to displayport adapters. I had been hoping to make use of both cards because, at least in the case that prompted this question, the person I'm setting up the computer for has one monitor with a displayport connection and the other with VGA and DVI only. It seemed silly to not use the new graphics card at all, but I was hoping to save the company a bit of money by using what was available here. I had no input in the purchase of these machines, my part is only to set them up for users.

I have a different m910t at my desk than the one I was working on yesterday, so I did the steps again so I could tell you what's showing up in the Device Manager. Now neither graphics cards are working. I have some troubleshooting ahead of me I suppose.

Options

3797 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7836 Signins

116743 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-04-16, 14:09 PM

What's the Option part number for that graphics card?  Also, to eliminate the possibility that another problem is masking this one, is it possible for you to pull the graphics card and verify that the monitors work off the built-in ports.  And can you give us the full model number and BIOS version from a 'sys info'.  Thx. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

3797 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7836 Signins

116743 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2018-04-19, 14:31 PM

wrote:

What's the Option part number for that graphics card?  Also, to eliminate the possibility that another problem is masking this one, is it possible for you to pull the graphics card and verify that the monitors work off the built-in ports.  And can you give us the full model number and BIOS version from a 'sys info'.  Thx. 

Can you let me know what graphics card you are using? 

Options

3797 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7836 Signins

116743 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2018-04-25, 17:30 PM

Did you get this issue resolved?  Could you tell us what graphics card you are using.  This will help other M910 owners.  Thank you. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save