Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ILIV
Paper Tape
Views: 2,217
Message 1 of 5

ThinkCentre M910x Tiny spec and other questions

I'm considering a purchase of ThinkCentre M910x Tiny and I have been trying to figure out certain spec details and other things about this computer.

Specifically, is 32G memory the maximum amount of memory for this little beast of a machine? I can see that the i7-7700 CPU supports 64G of RAM but product page says 32G is maximum of amount memory M910x can be configured with. I'm not clear whether that's just what Lenovo is willing to install before shipping it or 32G is indeed the maximum amount of memory that can be installed on M910x?

Next, what is "M.2 - NVMe" exactly? Is it PCIe x4 or something else? What dimensions the installed M.2 cards are? What module keys are used?  What dimensions are supported?  Who is the memory vendor/manufacturer?

I'm also wondering if I can get away with just two M.2 cards and no SATA3 hard drive? The configurator apparently will let me do it but I have really no clue if I will be able to use M.2 cards as main storage to install an OS. No experience with the M.2 cards here...

Lastly, I've seen on the forum that there is (used to be?) a problem with M.2 cards heating up pretty badly in idle mode on M900 (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tc01_en/page/9/thread-id/19277) and reaching critical temperatures when under load. Something realted to ASPM being broken. Is this still a problem? Does it affect M910x? I'm leaning towards using M.2 as the main storage and that problem sounds pretty nasty...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,188
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkCentre M910x Tiny spec and other questions

From what I know: 

32 GB max, probably due to there being 2 slots for memory, rather than 4 on larger systems.

Yes, M.2 - NVMe is PCIe x4, and there are 2 slots on a M910x (1 slot on regular M910q Tiny.)  They are 80mm long, which is currently the default size for M.2 SSDs.  In the M900 Tiny, Samsung was used as a vendor, don't know if it's the same for M910x. 

Yes, M.2 SSD can and will be used for the OS (as it's the faster of the 2 technologies, the OS is installed on the fastest by default.)

The ASPM being broken on the M900 Tiny has been fixed.   However M910 uses a different BIOS, and there are no reports of the ASPM being broken on a M910 Tiny. 

This photo may be of help: 

f-m910x slots.jpgM910x Tiny - showing two M.2 SSD slots

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
ILIV
Paper Tape
Views: 2,180
Message 3 of 5

Oh, I see. Laptop memory still comes in 16GB per stick. Am I right to assume that once this number is doubled per stick we should be able to install 64GB into M910x?

It's pretty cool that M.2 can be used as the only storage.

And thanks for confirming ASPM is not an issue on M910x!

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,175
Message 4 of 5

Am I right to assume that once this number is doubled per stick we should be able to install 64GB into M910x?

I don't know, you may have to wait and see. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SlippySlappy
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 5 of 5

BigAl - is it true that the RX 460 does not work with the TIO monitor when used in AIO mode? I've heard that you have to purchased a separare mini DP to DP cable and then run from the Tiny PC to the monitor. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors