Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gastric
What's DOS?
Views: 1,019
Message 1 of 2

ThinkCentre M910z largest hard drive size supported

I have an older Lenovo all-in-one that's reaching the end of it's tolerable life. It's slow, limited upgrades, only supports one small hard drive. But I love the all-in-one form factor.

I see the newer iteration ThinkCentre M910z supports SSD for the primary (horrah!) and includes a second 2.5" hard drive bay. What I can't find is what the largest supported storage size is. Can it support a 4TB-5TB drive like the Seagate BarraCuda ST4000 and ST4000?

My goal is to have a SSD for OS and apps, big 2nd drive for archiving large video as opposed to having to have an external USB drive perpetually tethered like with my current all-in-one.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 981
Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkCentre M910z largest hard drive size supported

I don't know firsthand, but reading the PSREF for the M910z I believe that the supported two-drive configurations consists of an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD as well as 2.5" SATA HDD or SSD, as well as an optional optical drive.  As such, you're limited by the capacities of these products, whether you buy the drives pre-installed by Lenovo or upgrade them yourself.

For sure, the Seagate BarraCuda ST4000 you mention comes in both a 3.5" and 2.5" form, so you'd obviously have to pick a 2.5" model since that's the size supported by the M910z.

NOTE: there is a configuration option with TWO 2.5" HDD/SSD drives, but the second drive is actually installed in the bay which otherwise would hold a 9.5mm "slim" optical drive.  So if you choose to have two 2.5" drives from Lenovo then the option to also purchase an optical drive disappears.  Much more likely is an M.2 SSD, a 2.5" HDD, and an optical drive.

But beyond the 2.5" form for the HDD/SSD is the thickness of the drive, and the larger capacity Seagate models (i.e. 3TB and larger) are 15mm thick, which I'm guessing is not supported by the M910z.  The smaller Seagate models (2TB and smaller) are 7mm thick, which is very likely what you need to go with.

The PSREF document doesn't indicate which thickness of 2.5" drive is supported by the M910z but the offered capacity of only 512GB suggests they require the "slim" 2.5" drives, i.e. 7mm form.  Also, the 9.5mm "slim" optical drive form offered again suggests that you cannot use a 15mm 2.5" Seagate HDD either in the primary 2.5" bay or in the converted optical bay.

So my guess is that you should be able to use a 2.5" Seagate 2TB drive or smaller, which are all 7mm thick, but nothing larger, which would be 15mm thick.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors