cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idexo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,255
Message 1 of 3

ThinkCentre M91p motherboard and ECC RAM??

Hello Lenovo Support Forum!

This is my first post here, happy to meet you all.

My question goes like this : On a out-of-warranty ThinkCentre M91p, if we replace the standard CPU (i5) with a socket compatible Xeon CPU, will the motherboard support ECC RAM?

ThinkCentre M91p desktop

Model : 7052A7F

Best regards,

Idexo

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,253
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkCentre M91p motherboard and ECC RAM??

My question goes like this : On a out-of-warranty ThinkCentre M91p, if we replace the standard CPU (i5) with a socket compatible Xeon CPU, will the motherboard support ECC RAM?

No.  It's the Intel Chipset that interfaces to memory, and only workstation and server Chipsets support ECC.  Check the specs for your desktop Chipset if you like. 

Also, just because a processor will fit into the socket, does not mean it will be supported by the BIOS.   Sometimes there is overlap between ThinkCentres and ThinkStations which do use Xeons.   If so, that Thinkstation model will be listed on your BIOS download page, but for unknown reasons that upgrade does not always work. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
man_dawg
Punch Card
Views: 96
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkCentre M91p motherboard and ECC RAM??

If ecc ram works in any lenovo computer you are a lucky person:: In fact about any desktop from anyone will not accept ecc ram at all:: must be to my knowledge non ecc::unregistered ram:: If you get it to work your a far better redneck geek than I am Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors