Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 3,873
Message 1 of 12

ThinkCentre M92p SFF/Tower: upgrade CPU processor to i7-3770

Hello everyone

I have bought second-hand my M92P SFF (3218) and I intend to boost it a bit. Things that I want to do involve upgrading the RAM (to 16GB) and -this is where I need help- if possible, the CPU.

I have seen a model of my very PC with the i7-3770 (3.4GHz). Can I simply swap the current i5-3470 for an i7-3770? Will it work or will I have issues? I mean like the BIOS not "seeing" the processor etc...

Also, how much of an improvement in speed / graphics ability could I see with such a "swap".

Anyone knowing an answer for sure I would wholeheartedly welcome his/her help.

Mod:  edited Subject line with problem/question

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,861
Message 2 of 12

Re: M92p SFF: upgrade CPU processor

@m92puser wrote:

I have seen a model of my very PC with the i7-3770 (3.4GHz). Can I simply swap the current i5-3470 for an i7-3770? Will it work or will I have issues? I mean like the BIOS not "seeing" the processor etc...

Also, how much of an improvement in speed / graphics ability could I see with such a "swap".

Yes, upgrade to i7-3770 (the top processor for this model) is possible, and as it's the same wattage as existing i5, there are no cooler issues.  But benchmarks show less than a 20% improvement, and in my past experience, you need 35%+ to make a noticable difference.   IMO, you'd be better off changing the HDD to a SSD for a performance improvement. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 3,832
Message 3 of 12

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate it, if I can find a used i7-3770 at a relatively low price I may go ahead and carry out the swap. +18% performance is more than I was expecting, but as you say it probably isn't quite enough.

So you say it is a "plug and play" job, simply replacing the i5-3470 with the i7-3770 and all will be fine without mods to the BIOS or anything, right?

If unable to find one at a good price, I probably will be converting to SSD.

Again, many thanks, it is greatly appreciated!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,820
Message 4 of 12

@m92puser wrote:

if I can find a used i7-3770 at a relatively low price I may go ahead and carry out the swap. +18% performance is more than I was expecting, but as you say it probably isn't quite enough.

Correct.  The i7-3770 was an option from the very beginning, so all BIOS versions supported it.  Although to be safe from 'Spectre', you do need to update to the latest (use CD ISO method only if you do.)

The change from HD 2500 to HD 4000, while it doesn't turn it into a decent gaming system, will help give it the appearence of a bit more speed. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 3,813
Message 5 of 12

Glad to see the swap will work straight away. However, there was no CD whatsoever accompanying my PC when I bought it. So, with the current BIOS version, what danger is there from this "Spectre", and actually, what is this "Spectre"?

As you probably know by now, I am not an expert on PC's and need a bit of help.

I suspect the upgrade from HD2500 to HD4000 will bring the improvement I need  (not too much is needed).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,808
Message 6 of 12

There was a ton of press on Spectre and Meltdown early this year.  Google your preferred news source. 

m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 3,805
Message 7 of 12

I see what you mean, as you said a ton of stuff.

Many thanks for all the support you have provided me with, it is greatly appreciated, by all means!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,802
Message 8 of 12

Glad to help.  If you do the processor upgrade, let us know how the speed difference is. 

m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 3,789
Message 9 of 12

Quite, when I carry out the swap I will post here with the results in difference Smiley Wink

fuzzyreets1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,291
Message 10 of 12

HI folks.  I see this thread ended abruptly.  I did buy a 3770 for my m92p last week but i'm having issues since install.  It seems when perfmance demands increase, it resets the machine.  i'm wondering if anyone else has had issues after doing soon.  I did it properly with the last BIOS and appied new thermal grease and everything.  It was done right but still issues. I'm wondering if reseating it will do anything.  Anyway, wondering if anyone is still out there following this thread.  Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors