Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phughes200
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,179
Message 31 of 37

Re: M92p Tower PSU Options

I purchased an adapter on EBay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/131684733841?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ). Amazon also sells them.

Seasonics sells a PS in this format that are about 350W but you need an adapter for the 24 pin connector. You might also need an adapter to get the necessary 4 pin connectors.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,160
Message 32 of 37

@phughes200 wrote:

Seasonics sells a PS in this format that are about 350W but you need an adapter for the 24 pin connector. You might also need an adapter to get the necessary 4 pin connectors.

There shouldn't be any issue with the 4-pin power connector.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 1,309
Message 33 of 37

-> Please notice, my question regards my M92p SFF, not the Tower version, but since this is a PSU - related discussion I posted it here <-

On intention to upgrading my PC step by step, I will eventually need to upgrade the PSU.

I have purchased a 24-pin to 14-pin adapter for the mainboard power, and the PSU that I have in mind is this one ->

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Be-Quiet-TFX-Power-2-300-Watt-Gold-Netzteil/401507559614?epid=2255371547&ha...

I only have one but quite important question: The current (OEM) PSU, has a "P2" 4-pin connector for powering the CPU , however, this PSU has a "P4" 4-pin power connector for the CPU.

Is it unsuitable, is there a compatibility issue (meaning this PSU won't do for my M92p SFF) ?

Please help - many thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,281
Message 34 of 37

@m92puser wrote:

I only have one but quite important question: The current (OEM) PSU, has a "P2" 4-pin connector for powering the CPU , however, this PSU has a "P4" 4-pin power connector for the CPU.

I reviewed the ATX power supply specification (TFX spec uses the same connectors), and the 4-pin CPU power cable is designated as "P4", and there is no 4-pin designated as "P2".   My guess, since Lenovo was already breaking the specification with the 14-pin connector, that they labeled the 14-pin as P1, and the 4-pin as P2.  

Just an observation, 300w isn't much of an increase over the stock 240w.  If you're going to the trouble of replacing the supply, I suggest going to a 350w supply, which is also a more popular size, at least here in the US, and the pricing will competitive.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 1,279
Message 35 of 37

Very helpful link you have provided me with, many thanks for that Smiley Wink

I have attached a picture, don't know if it will open here, showing the "P2" CPU connector.

I have to say here in Europe I can't find many 350W TFX supplies, but for my purposes even the 300W will be enough - even if I fit a demanding graphics card, which I am not going to, for quite some months at least.

Mostly I want to replace the PSU because I need the extra SATA connectors so that I can fit at least one SSD without having to "sacrifice" the DVD - that PSU I mentioned before has 4 of them, in contrast to the 2 (only enough for the HDD & DVD devices) of the OEM PSU. And, it's  well priced too.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,277
Message 36 of 37

A SATA power splitter is often used to power a SSD (as they don't use much power), they are avail. in various lengths.   

m92puser
Punch Card
Views: 1,271
Message 37 of 37

This Y-adapter could indeed be quite useful and save me quite some cash.

My only reservation is this: I've done some research and I've read in some cases they tend to short out and burn stuff, which is why there is still a bit of scepticism on my part...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors