cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DurocShark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,943
Message 1 of 37

ThinkCentre M92p Tower & SFF: power supply upgrade options (14-pin, PSU, front fan)

There have been a few threads about the propreitary 14pin PSU connectors and that there's no aftermarket support for upgrades. But it's been a little while, and Lenovo (around the office, my staff are calling them "Le-No-No" now) hasn't change policy, or offered an upgrade.

We have just received several of these i7 PC's and they all have the useless 280w PSU's. Those are severely limiting in what video cards can be installed, as anything over 55w will knock the PSU over. That means, no decent cards. A Quadro 2000 is, at 51W, about as far as we can go.

My CDW rep has been working to find a solution for us, but without any success. So I'm bringing it to the community before I have to re-evaluate our desktop hardware choice.

Has anybody made either an adapter or a PSU that will work on the Lenovo 14-pin motherboards?

(Oh, and yes, I've read http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-M-and-Edge-Series-ThinkCentre/M92P-14pin-power-supply-connector/m-p/84... . No help there. Thought I'd post a clear question here in hopes that someone has started making adapters.)

Mod:  edited Subject line to be more descriptive

Vighter
What's DOS?
Views: 18,847
Message 2 of 37

Betreff: M92p Tower PSU Options

Hello,

I have the same problem with this **bleep**ty power management. 280w with no option of an upgrade... What did they think when they built this?

however I did some research and found this:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-14%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%283...

Did anyone try this yet? Can it be used safe on the system? And will it do the work that it should do?

DurocShark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,840
Message 3 of 37

Hey, thanks for finding that! I'll try it soon...

Vighter
What's DOS?
Views: 18,833
Message 4 of 37

make sure that you dont grill your system... i dont know if theres a danger when connecting a stronger power supply

DurocShark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,831
Message 5 of 37

More watts won't do anything. If anything, a high quality, higher wattage power supply will protect the system from voltage drops.

Dutch_Swenson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,798
Message 6 of 37

This works fine.  I've done it in my M92p, among other things, with the intent of upgrading the video card.

Here's a link.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107213474324338893681/albums/5923736771318853729

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 18,749
Message 7 of 37

Good call on adding the front fan to cool the upgraded graphics card.   Did you attach it directly to the front grill with silicone mounts?    I also added ventilated PCI slot covers to mine (a low cost option Lenovo should consider as standard like Dell and other pc makers.)

I just saw the "LiteOn" symbol on the PCB of your stock power supply.   My M91p Tower used a LiteOn power supply with standard ATX connectors, until I replaced it with a Corsair.   Got to wonder why Lenovo switched to proprietary connectors.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Dutch_Swenson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,734
Message 8 of 37

The front fan is an 80mm unit blowing inwards.  If you take the front cover off, you can see the mounting holes.  It mounts nicely with a silicone nail kit.  I believe that FRU 03T9722 is an optional fan for that location.

I like the ventilated slot cover idea.  Now I just need to figure out what graphics card to get.  Maybe something along the lines of a GTX 660.  Assuming it will physically fit in that location.

I think the proprietary connectors in this case all comes down to cost.  This motherboard design didn't require a full ATX spec power supply, so why use one.  It costs less to have a special one made when you spread the expense out over the thousands of units you will need for production.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 18,704
Message 9 of 37

Thanks. It could be the front grill on the M91 is different, there's square mounting points for the factory fan bracket on mine, but not any for direct fan attachment. I was able to get a 92mm fan mounted at 3 corners using the round grill holes that roughly aligned.

You might consider an AMD card, as they are thermally more efficient than Nvidia, plus BIOS support for AMD is better known on this system.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
dronus
What's DOS?
Views: 16,812
Message 10 of 37

M92p Tower PSU Options

I think the reason for the new power connector is the simplified power system of the Lenovo mainboard. There is only a very small 5V rail for standby power, anything else runs from strong 12V rails. So lesser cables and a smaller connector is enough, and the mainboard may spread power to other devices, removing the need for a massive amount of cables running from the PSU.

On the other hand, most usual power supplies have a strong 5V rail too. This one would be useless on the Lenovo, and may impose problems if not used due to uneven load on the 5 and 12V rails.

So replacing the original supply by an other supply is a little risky, as  it might lead to an unstable system, as 1) the 5V line is not used and 2) the 12V line may be overloaded. The original supply provides 2 x 16 A = 32 A for 12V while for example one 420W PSU I came around only provides 20 A at 12 V, while the remaining power is provided at 5V. Such an supply may suffer overload even at an 280W usage inside the Lenovo ThinkStation. 

Now what to do about? The correct PSU would provide for example 500W with most of it, eg. 48 A on the 12V line. Only such an supply would power the ThinkStation with a additional powerful GPU without violating the official power spec of the PSU.

There is no such PSU I guess, and hence there are no PSU sporting the Lenovo connector except the orginial one. Using the adaptor is a little risky, however if enough peoply tried this successfully, there is no reason to not try it... However, power issues are hard to debug and may lead to strange problems or rare lockups then blamed on software.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors