Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,776
Message 11 of 37

Re: M92p Tower PSU Options

dronus wrote:

So replacing the original supply by an other supply is a little risky, as  it might lead to an unstable system, as 1) the 5V line is not used and 2) the 12V line may be overloaded. The original supply provides 2 x 16 A = 32 A for 12V while for example one 420W PSU I came around only provides 20 A at 12 V, while the remaining power is provided at 5V. Such an supply may suffer overload even at an 280W usage inside the Lenovo ThinkStation. 

Now what to do about? The correct PSU would provide for example 500W with most of it, eg. 48 A on the 12V line. Only such an supply would power the ThinkStation with a additional powerful GPU without violating the official power spec of the PSU.

There is no such PSU I guess, and hence there are no PSU sporting the Lenovo connector except the orginial one. Using the adaptor is a little risky, however if enough peoply tried this successfully, there is no reason to not try it... However, power issues are hard to debug and may lead to strange problems or rare lockups then blamed on software.

I can't say how different the M91p is from a M92p from a power requirement perspective, but I would suspect not much.   I can say that my M91p (i7-2600 with an AMD HD 6670) upgraded with a Corsair AX750 power supply has run without *any* issues for years for work (all day every week day) running demanding financial trading and charting applications.    Several other people have used the power cable adapter for some time without issues.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
dronus
What's DOS?
Views: 4,769
Message 12 of 37

The Corsair AX750 provides the mayor amount of energy on the 12V rail, so this should work ok.. however, several mid-range PSUs do not.
DurocShark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,767
Message 13 of 37

5v is used in places other than the motherboard. So it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

That said, even the consumer grade CX500 has 38A on the 12v rail. More than enough for a modern system (here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx500-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply).

I'm using one of those in a user machine and the AX760 in my personal machine. The user machine has a 7770 video card, mine has the R9 270. All work just fine with the adapter at moddiy.

I've just ordered 2 more adapters because I'm tired of telling users they can't get higher end video cards (better Quadros, etc). I love Lenovo's warranty service. That's the only reason I stuck it out with them even though their decision making process seems to be lacking...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,758
Message 14 of 37

@DurocShark wrote:

That said, even the consumer grade CX500 has 38A on the 12v rail. More than enough for a modern system (here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx500-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply).

Did you mean the CX500M?   I think very important, is that the 500M (and the AX series) is modular, as there's limited room in the mini-tower chassis, and having only the cables you need is a big plus.  That also helps with airflow, especially if you've upgraded the graphics card.   

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
DurocShark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,755
Message 15 of 37

That link is to the straight CX500, and that's what I have. No modular on that one. Mine's modular, but not hers.

The fan went bad on that CX500 though, and Corsair won't sell me just a fan. So I'm going to buy her a modular PSU and then RMA the old one to keep handy.

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 4,726
Message 16 of 37

Surrely it also has to do with energy efficiency/consumption, cost optimizing and I also believe certification. While replacing power supply may work (if customer wants we are doing this as well for M93 MT), it will likely disrupt lenovo original engineered air flow, loudness, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

BorjaGiro
Paper Tape
Views: 3,803
Message 17 of 37

i have a m93p with a 14 pin's motherboard. after reading the topic i don't know what psu i can use without issues. any recomendation?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,799
Message 18 of 37

As noted above, the Corsair AX and CX series work without any issues. I have also personally used a Corsair HX650 without issue.

A power supply with similar specs for the different voltage rails (see above for details on why), and a similar physical size as these, should work as well.   Best to get a modular model as space is limited inside the case.   Most quality power power supplies will meet this criteria, it's not that complicated. 

And good work searching the forum for all threads related to power supplies for your system. 

BorjaGiro
Paper Tape
Views: 3,791
Message 19 of 37

thanks for the quick reply, another question: this one could be ok for m93p? is semimodular,

http://www.amazon.es/Corsair-CX-750M-Fuente-alimentaci%C3%B3n/dp/B00ALK1TPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,787
Message 20 of 37

Yes. That one would be good, and I'd say the CX 600M would be sufficient as well.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors