Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorjaGiro
Paper Tape
Views: 2,168
Message 21 of 37

Re: M92p Tower PSU Options

thanks, as you said, it is not difficult. i should take care about the 12Vs voltage rail, and the phisical size.
but, there are any risk if i use a higher power supply? 1000W f.ex?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,165
Message 22 of 37

Considering it hangs in the top of the case, and not sitting on the bottom of the case like most, it may be too big and heavy.
I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BorjaGiro
Paper Tape
Views: 2,155
Message 23 of 37

well, that's not problem, i can put it outside the box. xD

Spam00r
Punch Card
Views: 2,017
Message 24 of 37

Hi,

I have the following situation:

1. I have a Lenovo M91p Tower with a 24 Pin 500 Watt PSU, with a GTX 750 Ti GPU running in it without any problems.

2. I now also have a M92p Tower with a 14 pin 280 Watt PSU.

Now I want to use the newer M92p and Now I installed the GTX 750 Ti in it, which does not have an external power input and derives its power only from the PCI-E slot.

If the GPU is not fully utiliesed, the setup works fine. if However I start GPU demanding applications, and the GPU is fully utilised, the 280 WATT PSU is not sufficient to power the GPU and all other componets attached to the M92p Tower and the GPU goes black. I the have to restart the pc to get it working again.

Right now I help my self by downclocking the GTX card by about 20 percent, so that the Graphicscard is not pushed to its maximum power consumption.

This solution works, however it is not perfect as I am not fully utilising my GTX 750 Ti card.

I was thinking to put my 500 Watt 24 pin PSU into my 14 pin M92p tower in order to allow my GTX 750 Ti to work utilisng its full potential and not having to downclock it.

As you already have discussed, this will work without any issues with a 24 pin to 14 pin adapter.

My Question is however, wether, I can put the 14 Pin 280 WATT PSU of the M92p Tower into my M91p Tower? As I would be running my M91p with only the integrated GPU, 280 Watt would be sufficient. I want to avoid to buy a third PSU.

Is it possible to put a 14 Pin PSU in a 24 Pin Board? Does such a adapter exist?

I hope someone can help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,005
Message 25 of 37

Perhaps it's a thermal issue on that 750 Ti, it being a non-external power card with probably a less capable cooler.    If you were reaching capacity of the power supply, I'd expect to also see other symptoms than the screen going blank.  

Are you at the latest BIOS version?   Have you monitored the GPU and system temps before and into the blank screen condition?   I'd use GPU-Z and HWMonitor if you haven't.  

If it does look like a thermal issue, I'd suggest removing the blank PCIe slot covers on the back to allow more outside air to the card as a test -- you can buy ventilated covers later if it works.   And there's other ways to improve the cooling. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Spam00r
Punch Card
Views: 1,987
Message 26 of 37

Hey BiggAl,

thanks for the quick reply.

In the course of troubleshooting, I of course also checked the Tempreatures.

It is a Inno3d GTX 750Ti Version. It is one of the shorter variants so you are probably right, that it is not a sgoot ventilated as the larger versions.

When I monitored the temperature, via MSI AFterburner, but also with HWinfo and GUPz, the temperature was always less than 60 C when under full load. And also the Fan never needed to go up to max speed. SO I newer really had reason to believe that the temperature was an issue. I also used the pc with the sidewindow of the M92p removed. But no cooling measures made any difference.

Another observation was that the Blacking out of the Nvidia GPU sometimes comes very quickly, like in a matter of minutes into a game. Thats why I believed that if the GPU has to go tomaximum perfomance due to certian graphic intensive tasks, it crashes. SO my conclusion was, that when too much power is needed, my PSU can't supply it, and windows shuts the GPU off.

But you are right, if the PSU was too weak, the problems schouldn't be limited to the GPU. 

Also I have read at othe rplaces, that the GTX 750 Ti does not draw too much power and that a 300 Watt PSU schould be sufficient.

STrange thing is that the GPU is rock solid when I downclock it to about 80% of its power.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,980
Message 27 of 37

Unless you have a bunch of other devices or peripherals drawing power over taxing the power supply, it may be a defect in that PCIe x16 slot delivering power to the graphics card.  

Similar models have be tested and documented as supporting a GTX 750 Ti under full, worst-case load with the stock power supply.    From another owner:

I can confirm that this MSI brand low-profile  GTX 750 Ti 2GB  card works perfectly in my M93p SFF machine without upgrading the PSU:   MSI N750-Ti-2GD5TLP

Measuring the power draw of a i5-4570 running Prime95 (CPU benchmark) , FurMark (GPU benchmark) , charging cell phone via USB and copying large files at the same time , it stays below 190W.   Have been running this for several hours.  I have also been playing Fallout 4 (FullHD, ultra textures, 60 FPS) for 100 hours without any problems.   As the case is quite compact, I was worried about the temperatures, but it stays below 80C for the GPU at full power over extended periods of time (about 25C ambient temp in the room). 

Installation is ok. Just mount the low profile bracket and move the PCIe 1x WiFi card (if you have one) into another slot.  Preferably leave an empty slot next to the graphics card.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,960
Message 28 of 37

Betreff: M92p Tower PSU Options

@BiggAl wrote:

You might consider an AMD card, as they are thermally more efficient than Nvidia, plus BIOS support for AMD is better known on this system.

This was written in 2013, but is definitely no longer the case.   Both thermal efficiency and BIOS/driver support better for Nvidia.  

Spam00r
Punch Card
Views: 1,942
Message 29 of 37

Betreff: M92p Tower PSU Options

I installed a 450 Watt psu now, but the problem still remains.

I tweaked a little bit the downclocking and found out, that the card still runs stable if I remove the downclock of the GPU, but I Still have to maintain the 80% Power Limit, otherwiese a carsh will occur.

So right now all I have to set a limit on ist the power limit, which is set to 80%, the downclocking of the GPU is not necessary it appears.

It appears that the PSU is sufficient, but the problem appears to be something else.

RLW
What's DOS?
Views: 1,909
Message 30 of 37

I found a 24 pin to 14 pin adapter on amazon that sells for $5.95, with Prime shipping. It is in stock when I ordered on May 13, 2016.

The shortened URL: http://goo.gl/dp6WN1

I bought a powerful and power-sucking graphics card for 3D imaging. I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre and a Lenovo ThinkServer, and knew they had 180W PSU, but it was OK. I had an old 500W PSU laying around and could easily install it. I had not realized that the Lenovo motherboard power supply connector didn't match any available PSU except Lenovo. I was upset that I could not use old PSU to upgrade. I learned on this forum about an adapter cable, and then searched amazon to see if they had one. They have several. This looks well made in the close-up photos. I thought that I might have to buy a new computer. Yay.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors