Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John727
Paper Tape
Views: 6,987
Message 1 of 9

ThinkCentre M92p tiny - FW status recovery error

My thinkcentre won't boot, all I get is an error "FW status recovery" on black screen.

The problem started after I unpluged it and move to a new location.

I found out the onboard battery (CR2032) was dead, and replaced it with a new one, but the problem still persist.

I tried resetting the CMOS using the jumpers.

I now installed the latest BIOS software (using CD) and still the same issue.

I can access the BIOS setup using F1, but nothing can get me past the boot operation (I can confirm latest BIOS was installed).

Any idea on what is corrupt and need recovery?

I tried resetting BIOS to default values.  Are there any settings on the BIOS that I can try?

Is there a way to update the firmware using a USB/CD boot media??  I can't boot into windows to use the Intel Firmware tool.

It's a ThinkCentre M92p type 3238.

Thanks for any assistance.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,970
Message 2 of 9

Re: ThinkCentre M92p tiny - FW status recovery error

See this thread below, which seems to indicate that you need to follow the procedure for Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure (see page 267 in the HMM manual below). 

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p. After updating the BIOS from 06/30/2017, the system restarts constantly

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M92p-After-updating-the-B...

ThinkCentre Hardware Maintenance (HMM) Manual (M92p)

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m82m92p_hmm.pdf

Best of luck,

John727
Paper Tape
Views: 6,916
Message 3 of 9

I was able to flash Bios v999 (latest current on website), still same error.

Flashed v998 (previous version at the bottom of the page), still same error.

I see the Lenovo splash screen, then the "FW status recovery" error, and reboots in a loop.

Pressing F1 I can access the BIOS settings.

Pressing <Enter> I can access the boot menu, but <Ctrl+P> doesn't take me to the MEBx setup.

I'm thinking there is something wrong/corrupt on the MEBx firmware, but I can't seem to be able to fix or disable it.

Is there any way to flash/update the Intel MEBx from a boot CD ??

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,907
Message 4 of 9

I wouldn't expect a system of this age that has been plugged in to have a dead CMOS battery.  How is it that you suspected and know the CMOS battery was dead?   There may be some other hardware issue we're not seeing. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
John727
Paper Tape
Views: 6,903
Message 5 of 9

I notice the date had been lost/resetted when accessing the BIOS.

I took the CR2032 battery out, measured, and it showed 1.1v

The battery was clearly dead, but how can that corrupt the firmware?

When flashing the BIOS, is it also burning the Intel MEBx?  For some reason I can't access MEBx section (Ctrl+P).

On the BIOS everything seems to be fine, but it's not booting.

I tried to boot from CD, from USB, from hard drive (chaing the BIOS settings, or thru F12), but always get the "FW status recovery" error in a loop.

I'm running out of ideas, some forums talk about replacing the motherboard Smiley Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,901
Message 6 of 9

I noticed the date had been lost/resetted when accessing the BIOS.

I took the CR2032 battery out, measured, and it showed 1.1v

The battery was clearly dead, but how can that corrupt the firmware?

I don't believe the BIOS was corrupted, the fact that you could access the BIOS implies that the BIOS was intact, and that updating the BIOS has not corrected the problem.   It probable that it's some other hardware error, again it's odd the CMOS battery was dead.   The only thing I can suggest is to do a full CMOS reset: 

Remove the CMOS coin battery, disconnect the system from AC power outlet, push and hold the power button for 30 sec for about 6 times (to drain residual power), leave like this overnight to drain further.   Wipe finger marks off battery and reinstall without adding more, wait 10 mins.   Connect the AC power, wait 10 mins more and power up.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
John727
Paper Tape
Views: 6,860
Message 7 of 9

nothing worked (BIOS flash, rollback, CMOS reset)

I ended up buying a used motherboard from eBay.

Just finished replacing it, and the system is working good now.

Some times electronics just fail.

Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,843
Message 8 of 9

It was a learning experience for all of us. Thank You for sharing.

ipdown
Punch Card
Views: 3,972
Message 9 of 9

"FW status recovery error" - this means somehow Intel ME firmware got corrupted. There is no easy way to fix this, BIOS reflash will not fix it. If you can live without Intel ME/AMT the solution is to close the red jumper labeled "SATA1" on the motherboard and leave it like this. This completely disables Intel ME/AMT, the machine can boot and all works perfectly fine - you just cannot use AMT anymore.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors